Holiday season snack mix
During the holiday season, I look for ways to show my family and friends my appreciation for them. It can be easy to become consumed by the materialism of Christmas and forget the real reasons for the season — peace, love and thanksgiving. By taking time to create something special for family, friends and co-workers, I find myself focusing more on the thanks, prayer and joyful messages that touch us during the days leading up to Christmas.
Each ingredient in this snack mix symbolizes something associated with the holiday season.
- Bugles – Bring us the joyful message announcing peace on earth and goodwill
- Pretzels – Represent arms folded in thanks and prayer
- Candy corn/corn nuts – During the pilgrims’ first winter, they were each allotted only five kernels of corn per day because food was so scarce.
- Dried/candy fruits – Remind us of the rich gifts brought by the Wise Men.
- Peanuts/sunflower seeds – Seeds represent the promise of a bountiful harvest for the next season if they are planted and well tended.
Mix together roughly equal portions of each ingredient. Share the holiday blessing mix with friends and family or create your own version using snack ingredients that represent your family’s holiday traditions.