If you experience problems such as nausea and vomiting with your prep, call our physician at (502) 896-4711.
Do not eat solid food on prep day (the entire day before your procedure).
You will receive specific instructions on how to clean your bowel before your procedure.
In preparation, you’ll need to go on a liquid diet. Here is a list of liquids you can consume in preparation for a colonoscopy:
Foods and drinks you may have:
- Broth – chicken, beef or vegetable
- Jell-O – No red or purple dyes
- Popsicles – No red or purple dyes
- Fruit juices – No orange juice, grapefruit juice or V8
- Coffee without creamer, but you can add Vanilla Boost
- Tea – hot or cold
- Soft drinks – Sprite, Coke, Diet Coke, Mountain Dew; no red or purple dyes
- Gatorade – No red or purple dyes
- Any clear drinks – water, lemonade, etc.
- Boost (up to six cans) chocolate or vanilla only on the day before your procedure only; no Boost Plus.
Do not consume foods or drinks with red or purple dyes, dairy products or acidic juices on the day before or day of your colonoscopy.
Your prep and following a liquid diet is the most important part of the procedure. If prep is not followed properly, you may have to have another colonoscopy.
For details on bowel cleansing with your prescription, please see the Colon Cancer Screening page.