Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation
The simple act of breathing is not simple for those who suffer from emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or any other chronic respiratory condition. If you have been diagnosed with a respiratory ailment, you know all too well that breathing can be an exhausting struggle.
Norton Healthcare offers pulmonary rehabilitation programs at three locations in Jefferson County:
- Woody and Lucille Stephens Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center, Norton Medical Plaza East – Audubon
- Norton Cardiovascular Diagnostic Center – Springs
- Norton Cardiovascular Diagnostic Center – Dixie
These programs are self-paced and closely monitored by health care professionals who are there to help you feel better by controlling your condition as much as possible.
Note: Pediatric pulmonary services are available at Norton Children’s Hospital.
To participate in the program, you need a referral from your doctor. Our team of pulmonary rehabilitation specialists will work with your physician to develop a specific program just for you. You’ll receive one-on-one attention every step of the way, and you’ll play a major role in setting measurable, attainable goals.
Mild Exercise and Education
Mild exercise and education are the two key components of rehabilitation.
We tailor the exercise component to your condition and ability. It helps improve your endurance, strength, stamina, flexibility and self-confidence.
The education portion of the program teaches improved breathing techniques, provides answers to your questions about prescribed medications, gives helpful nutritional information and shows you how to control anxiety and fear by conserving your energy and pacing yourself.
Patients participate in our formal rehabilitation program for an average of six to 10 weeks, or a total of 24 two-hour sessions. Extensions are possible if medically necessary. Patients usually attend sessions three times a week.
After you finish the formal program, you can participate in our maintenance program for $4 per session. Exercise with supervision in our exercise room, and enjoy the freedom to work at your own pace, alongside others who are learning to cope with similar breathing conditions.
We bill Medicare and private insurance for the formal rehabilitation part of the program, but patients are encouraged to contact their provider before making any appointments.
For more information, call or visit these locations:
Woody and Lucille Stephens Cardiac and Pulmonary
Norton Medical Plaza East – Audubon, Suite L-12
3 Audubon Plaza Drive
Louisville, KY 40217
Norton Cardiovascular Diagnostic Center – Springs
The Springs Medical Center, Suite 75
6420 Dutchmans Parkway
Louisville, KY 40205
Norton Cardiovascular Diagnostic Center – Dixie
Cardiac Rehabilitation, Suite 120
4420 Dixie Highway
Louisville, KY 40216
Norton Children’s Hospital
Pediatric Pulmonary Services
231 E. Chestnut St.
Louisville, KY 40202
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more cardiovascular patients — about 100,000 every year — than any provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiologists, electrophysiologists, cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s leader.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in the state.
- The American College of Cardiology Accreditation Services certifies Norton Healthcare for chest pain and atrial fibrillation care.
Disney star Cameron Boyce’s family says a seizure led to his death: What is sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP)?
When actor Cameron Boyce, a star of the Disney Channel show “Jessie,” died at age 20, his family said in a statement that his sudden death was due to a seizure during sleep. According to […]Read Full Story
Deanna Polsgrove, practice manager for Norton Infectious Disease Specialists, considers patients to be like family. She cries with them and celebrates with them. So, when a patient gave birth to a healthy baby girl, Deanna […]Read Full Story
For the second year in a row, Norton Healthcare has been identified as one of the companies liked best by female workers in Forbes' second annual ranking of America's Best Employers for Women. This recognition [...]Read Full Story