A Growing Destination for Louisville Vascular Care
Patients from Louisville and Southern Indiana make more than 6,000 appointments a year at Norton Vascular Surgery, where they get treatment of diseases and disorders of the veins and arteries.
Our five board-certified and fellowship trained vascular surgeons have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s healthcare leader.
Our specialists provide comprehensive vascular care. Because the vascular system affects the entire body, they collaborate closely with other specialists throughout Norton Healthcare to provide treatment.
Our board-certified vascular surgeons have the skill and sophisticated tools to make a precise diagnosis that will guide a customized treatment plan tailored to your condition and needs.
Expertise That Combines Experience With Leading Edge Techniques
Our vascular surgeons confront vascular diseases using surgical and minimally invasive methods. Using sophisticated diagnostic tools, they’ll detect and monitor your condition and use their expertise to know when surgery isn’t required and when it is.
Our vascular surgeons will only order the tests needed to pinpoint the cause of your condition and use the information to tailor a treatment plan for you and your treatment goals. Norton Audubon Hospital, Norton Brownsboro Hospital, two Norton Cardiovascular Diagnostic Centers, Norton Hospital and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital are all accredited in vascular diagnosticsby the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission.
Our vascular surgery team partners with skilled nursing and surgical support staff in state-of-the-art facilities at Norton Audubon Hospital, Norton Hospital, Norton Brownsboro Hospital and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital. Our vascular surgeons use medical, surgical, endovascular and hybrid procedures.
Many times medication can manage vascular disease. If surgery is necessary, however, our surgeons are expert practitioners of minimally invasive endovascular surgery.
For some patients diagnosed with a potentially fatal abdominal aortic aneurysm, our vascular surgeons are pioneering a minimally invasive technique for treating the condition that can shorten recovery time. Using a catheter, one of our specialists will thread a wire through an artery to reach the aneurysm and install a sleeve to isolate the aneurysm from blood flow and avoid further pressure that could lead to rupture. This sleeve also allows continued unimpeded blood flow below the level of the aneurysm.
Without the sleeve, the aneurysm could burst, causing massive internal bleeding and possibly death.
Some patients still may need conventional surgery, but for those who can take advantage of this minimally invasive approach, the pain is less and recovery is faster. Patients typically spend one night in the hospital, and after a day or two are feeling fine.
Patients who receive this advanced treatment will need regular follow-up care and continued monitoring.
Our physicians are also skilled at implanting carotid stents — another treatment for reducing stroke risk. By implanting a stent in the carotid artery, surgeons reduce the risk of future stroke and avoid a more invasive open procedure, which cuts down on recovery time.
Carotid stents particularly are important for radiation patients and patients who cannot tolerate a more invasive open procedure
Heart and Vascular Care for the Whole Person
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute offers patient resources to support you and your family, including free classes for men and women of all ages seeking to improve cardiovascular health or living with a heart condition.
Our cardiac rehabilitation providers are leaders in developing and applying innovative techniques that can help you recover and resume your life.
The group provides education and support to men and women after a heart attack, living with a heart condition or at risk for cardiovascular disease.
Prevention is the best way to manage heart disease, and screenings are available to detect early signs of cardiac and vascular disease and identify risk factors.
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute offers classes about once a week on a broad range of heart health topics including cooking classes, atrial fibrillation (A-fib) and heart failure education workshops, and more.
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more people for heart and vascular care — about 250,000 every year — than any other provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Norton Healthcare’s four adult-service hospitals are American College of Cardiology accredited Cycle VI Chest Pain Centers — the highest level of expertise to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in Kentucky.
- Norton Healthcare is the only health care system in Kentucky to receive the prestigious Mission Lifeline: Regional Trailblazer Award from the American Heart Association for being an innovator in creating a system of care for ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) heart attacks — the most severe type of heart attack.