Experience Combined With Cutting-edge Treatment
Norton Neuroscience Institute is a regional leader in the field of endovascular neurosurgery. We use cutting-edge, minimally invasive endovascular procedures to treat neurological conditions without craniotomy, or open surgery, which can mean less risk of complications and a shorter recovery.
Endovascular neurosurgery is one of the latest approaches in the treatment of aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations and other conditions that cause stroke or neurological damage. This breakthrough technique allows our neurosurgical specialists access to the brain via catheters inserted through blood vessels.
Conditions we may be able to treat using endovascular neurosurgery include:
- Arteriovenous malformation
- Cerebral ischemia
- Cranial arteriovenous malformation
- Spinal arteriovenous malformation
- Venous malformation
When treating cerebrovascular and other conditions, our goal is to provide the best, most effective treatments possible using the most current minimally invasive endovascular technology.
How It Works
Our endovascular neurosurgeons insert a tiny, thin, flexible tube (catheter) into your leg artery and thread it through the blood vessels. The surgeon uses X-rays and other imaging techniques to guide the catheter to the area of your body that needs treatment. This innovative technique allows the surgeon to provide treatment for neurological conditions with only a tiny incision, which can mean less risk of complications and a shorter recovery.
Our Nationally Recognized Providers Deliver Innovative Care
Norton Neuroscience Institute combines years of experience with a commitment to offering the most innovative treatment, including advanced endovascular neurosurgery techniques. Norton is at the forefront of these emerging technologies, making them available for the first time to patients in Louisville and Southern Indiana. These procedures include complex aneurysm coiling through microsurgery, arteriovenous malformation resection, carotid endarterectomy, embolization and frameless noninvasive stereotactic radiosurgery.
As co-directors of the cerebrovascular and endovascular neurosurgery program at Norton Neuroscience Institute, Shervin R. Dashti, M.D., Ph.D., and Tom L. Yao, M.D., lead a team of nationally recognized providers who specialize in the latest endovascular therapy techniques. In addition to performing these advanced procedures, Drs. Dashti and Yao have completed extensive training in and performed many traditional open neurosurgeries.
Care That’s Focused on You
- We operate Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center — the area’s only center dedicated to helping you and your family navigate your lives. The Norton Healthcare Foundation funds this important service, so patients don’t need to pay.
- We have dedicated patient navigators who can help with transportation, schedule follow-up appointments and confirm that you can afford prescriptions.
- We provide support groups and exercise classes, develop customized diet plans and can help with issues such as access to disability assistance, housing, and financial and employment advice.
- At Norton Neuroscience Institute, we want to help you get better and well as prevent you from getting sick in the first place. Get help quitting smoking and learn the signs of stroke at Norton Healthcare Prevention & Wellness.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
Louisville’s Leader in Neurological Care
More patients from Louisville and Southern Indiana seek treatment from Norton Neuroscience Institute’s nationally recognized neurologists and neurosurgeons than any other provider in the area.
- We have more than 60 medical, surgical and research specialists dedicated to providing innovative care to those with brain, spine and nervous system conditions.
- We use advanced minimally invasive neurosurgery equipment that speeds your recovery and minimizes pain.
- Our multidisciplinary clinics offer easy access to specialists in oncology, cardiovascular, orthopedics, and behavioral health.
- Norton Healthcare has the largest network of accredited stroke centers in the area.
- Norton Brownsboro Hospital’s designation as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission and American Stroke Association represents the highest level of care.
- The Joint Commission also certified Norton Audubon Hospital and Norton Hospital as Primary Stroke Centers and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital.
- Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center navigators help educate patients and their families about new diagnoses, available treatments and managing their disease.
- We are nationally recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 neurosurgery and spine program.