Innovative Headache and Migraine Treatment
The Norton Neuroscience Institute team treats more patients for headache and migraines than any other health care provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana. We are at the forefront of adopting new headache and migraine treatments and researching new medications. We’re dedicated to a comprehensive approach to help patients get rid of their headaches and migraines, and treat and manage their symptoms so they can enjoy a better quality of life.
Our team includes two board-certified headache medicine physicians and advanced practice providers who are certified by the National Headache Foundation.
Our headache and migraine specialists use the latest medications and devices for treating headache disorders:
Noninvasive Neuromodulation Devices
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). Magnets create a mild electrical current to stimulate nerve cells in the brain. By calming overactive brain activity, the treatment may provide migraine relief.
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS). A handheld device that releases a mild electrical stimulation to the vagus nerve in the neck has been shown to provide acute relief.
Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) monoclonal antibodies
Research has shown that activity of the CGRP molecule spikes during migraines and other headaches. By blocking the increased activity, research has shown CGRP treatment can prevent headaches.
Botox injections work to paralyze muscles in the head and provide relief from some types of headaches.
Infusions can help rid the body of toxicity related to medication overuse and relieve some types of headaches.
Local anesthetic injections can help relieve headache pain.
Pain originating from the occipital nerve in the base of the skull may benefit from a local anesthetic injection.
Care That’s Focused on You
- We operate Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center — the area’s only center dedicated to helping you and your family navigate your lives. The Norton Healthcare Foundation funds this important service, so patients don’t need to pay.
- We have dedicated patient navigators who can help with transportation, schedule follow-up appointments and confirm that you can afford prescriptions.
- We provide support groups and exercise classes, develop customized diet plans and can help with issues such as access to disability assistance, housing, and financial and employment advice.
- At Norton Neuroscience Institute, we want to help you get better and well as prevent you from getting sick in the first place. Get help quitting smoking and learn the signs of stroke at Norton Healthcare Prevention & Wellness.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
Louisville’s Leader in Neurological Care
More patients from Louisville and Southern Indiana seek treatment from Norton Neuroscience Institute’s nationally recognized neurologists and neurosurgeons than any other provider in the area.
- We have more than 60 medical, surgical and research specialists dedicated to providing innovative care to those with brain, spine and nervous system conditions.
- We use advanced, minimally invasive neurosurgery equipment that speeds your recovery and minimizes pain.
- Our multidisciplinary clinics offer easy access to specialists in oncology, cardiovascular, orthopedics, and behavioral health.
- Norton Healthcare has the largest network of accredited stroke centers in the area.
- Norton Brownsboro Hospital’s designation as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission and American Stroke Association represents the highest level of care.
- The Joint Commission also certified Norton Audubon Hospital and Norton Hospital as Primary Stroke Centers and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital.
- Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center navigators help educate patients and their families about new diagnoses, available treatments and managing their disease.
- We are nationally recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 neurosurgery and spine program.