Osteoporosis and Bone Health Program
Dedicated to preventing and treating osteoporosis
Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital is the first hospital in Louisville and Southern Indiana to establish a program dedicated to preventing and treating osteoporosis. As part of the Norton Orthopedic Institute, the Louisville area’s leading orthopedic care program, our osteoporosis patients have access to innovative care from expert physicians.
We established the Bone Health Program to reduce the risk of falls and fractures caused by fragile bones. We want to end second fractures. Working with Own the Bone, we offer preventive services and treatment plans for patients at risk of bone health issues or dealing with them.
The DEXA scan is part of fracture prevention
We use a state-of-the-art bone densitometry DEXA scanner, also known as a DXA. Our technologists are specially trained to scan for bone density.
The DEXA scan is an enhanced form of X-ray that measures bone density. It’s quick, painless and noninvasive.
Our osteoporosis specialists work with other physicians and a team of health care providers, including a physical therapist, dietitian and nurse practitioner to treat your osteoporosis. We provide information and support to help make lifestyle changes that help bone health.
Osteoporosis patients have access to a nurse navigator who knows how to get things done in the health care world. The nurse navigator can provide one-on-one support and assistance with bone health resources and referrals to specialists.
Those who suffer a fracture caused by osteoporosis need the specialized care the experts at Norton Orthopedic Institute provide.
Care that prevents injury
- The Bone Health Program is at Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital in St. Matthews. Norton Orthopedic Institute has 30 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- We have educational materials geared toward your specific age group and gender.
- Our providers can help with lifestyle and nutritional questions.
- Quarterly classes through the Marshall Women’s Health & Education Center help you stay on top of managing your osteoporosis.
- We have a state-of-the-art bone densitometry DEXA scanner and dedicated technologists specifically trained in bone density scanning
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Orthopedic Institute
Norton Orthopedic Institute has more orthopedic specialists caring for more patients than any other health care provider in Louisville or Southern Indiana.
- We have more than 80 providers, including board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons at 30 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- We offer same-day appointments.
- We have sports medicine specialists who understand the stresses on an athlete’s body and have the expertise to provide the right treatment for your injury.
- Our providers are pioneers in innovative orthopedic surgeries focused on minimizing pain and recovery time.
- Our physicians and advanced practice providers pinpoint your diagnosis, offer the right care and get you moving again.
Disney star Cameron Boyce’s family says a seizure led to his death: What is sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP)?
When actor Cameron Boyce, a star of the Disney Channel show “Jessie,” died at age 20, his family said in a statement that his sudden death was due to a seizure during sleep. According to […]Read Full Story
Deanna Polsgrove, practice manager for Norton Infectious Disease Specialists, considers patients to be like family. She cries with them and celebrates with them. So, when a patient gave birth to a healthy baby girl, Deanna […]Read Full Story
For the second year in a row, Norton Healthcare has been identified as one of the companies liked best by female workers in Forbes' second annual ranking of America's Best Employers for Women. This recognition [...]Read Full Story