Story by: Norton Healthcare on December 4, 2020
Is a Christmas tree allergy making you sick? If mold spores make you sneeze, your living Christmas tree could be giving you symptoms.
Once a pine tree leaves the forest and lands in your living room, it may be festooned with mold along with ornaments, tinsel and lights. A study presented to a scientific meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (ACAA) found that bringing a live Christmas tree into a home can significantly increase indoor mold counts.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, inhaling or touching mold spores may cause a reaction in people who are allergic to them.
Symptoms of the allergy — sometimes called Christmas tree syndrome — include:
The study suggests replacing your natural tree with an artificial one or opening a window for several minutes each day to help prevent allergic reactions.
Norton eCare allows you to visit with a local Norton Healthcare provider any time, any day, through your MyNortonChart account.
But if your Christmas tree already has you looking like Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, it may be time to turn to a professional for help, according to Rachel Alexander, APRN, a nurse practitioner with Norton eCare.
“It’s important for your physician to help you determine whether you are experiencing allergies or something more, such as a cold or the flu, and provide the right treatment,” Rachel said.
However, if you are unable to see your primary care provider, you can schedule a virtual visit through Norton eCare to help determine if it’s an allergic response or something else. A Norton eCare provider can refer you for drive-thru testing if needed.
[templatera id=”185016″][templatera id=”144533″]
Select an appointment date and time from available spots listed below.