Are you expecting your first baby? Knowing your care options can help you rest easy.
If you’re expecting your first baby, no doubt you are overwhelmed with all the decisions to be made. What do I want the day of my child’s birth to be like? Should I have a natural birth? Should I see an OB/GYN or a midwife for my prenatal care and delivery?
Every pregnancy is different, and you’ll soon find you’re entering a whole new world. It may even be your first trip to a hospital.
If you’ve chosen Norton Healthcare to deliver your baby, here are some programs and services you might hear about:
- Neonatal intensive care units. Norton Children’s Hospital has a level IV NICU, meaning we are a regional center offering the highest level of services to care for all medical and surgical needs of newborns. Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital’s NICU is a level III NICU, offering a range of subspecialists for baby’s needs.
- Obstetric anesthesiologists. When you go into labor or have a scheduled delivery, you have access to on-site anesthesiologists who specialize only in labor and delivery. Our obstetric anesthesiologists are available 24 hours a day at Norton Hospital and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital.
- OB/GYN hospitalist program. If your doctor is not available, OB/GYN hospitalists are on site to monitor you and provide you and your baby with a safe delivery, as well as address any issues. Hospitalists are specialists in providing emergency care if needed.
- AirStrip OB. This innovative technology lets doctors monitor mom and baby from virtually anywhere using a smartphone. The information the doctor sees is exactly as it appears in your room. AirStrip OB is fully compliant with the federal government’s privacy regulations.
You also may hear about prenatal classes and services that can make preparing for a new baby and the day of delivery just a little bit easier:
Free educational classes about topics such as natural labor preparation, making birth plans, preparing new dads, and introducing siblings and pets
- Advanced ultrasound and prenatal testing
- NortonBaby.com, your online resource for advice about pregnancy, prenatal and newborn care, and taking an infant home
- Spa services and Aveda aromatherapy from Joseph’s Salon & Spa (available at Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital)
- Labor tub at Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital
- Certified lactation consultants providing breastfeeding support for new moms
- Private labor, delivery and mother/baby rooms