Some ways you can protect your own well-being and happiness, especially during times of stress
Self-care often is defined as the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, especially during times of stress.
Engaging in self-care tends to increase happiness, sense of well-being, ability to focus, empathy, compassion for self and others — plus other benefits.
Here are some ways you can take care of yourself:
- Stay hydrated by drinking water.
- Stretch in order to relax and refocus.
- Say “no” when you need to.
- Set realistic goals and to-do lists.
- Go outside and soak up the fresh air/sun.
- Forgive yourself and others.
- List five things you are grateful for each day.
- Build positive social connections.
- Drink hot tea.
- Make sure to get enough rest.
- Avoid blue lights (televisions, phones, electronics) an hour before bed.
- Use your support system.
- Play with a pet.
- Find a podcast or music that encourages joy and relaxation.
Norton Healthcare Prevention & Wellness
Norton Healthcare offers classes to help with healthy living, as well as wellness screenings.