Free backpacks with school supplies will be distributed to all children who complete scavenger hunt.
For the second consecutive year, Norton Healthcare will join with other community supporters to hold a health-focused summer event called Unity Jam. The purpose of the event isto increase awareness and promote healthy lifestyles in ZIP codes 40211 and 40212. It will take place Saturday, Aug. 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Molly Leonard Portland Community Center, 640 N. 27th St. Admission is free, and all are welcome.
Unity Jam will feature booths with food, health information, free health screenings, employment opportunities and demonstrations. Entertainment and children’s activities will be provided. Children who complete a scavenger hunt will receive a backpack filled with school supplies.
The event is planned by Synergy, Norton Healthcare’s African American Employee Resource Group. Kirstie Matzek, practice manager, Norton Community Medical Associates – Brownsboro, and Corenza Townsend, practice manager, Norton Leatherman Spine Center, are the group’s co-chairs and the driving force behind the community event.
“Our group’s idea started with health, because limited access to care is a big barrier for many people in our community — but it soon went far beyond that,” Kirstie said. “Unity Jam is about building relationships and bringing people together to achieve mutual goals.”
“This event is one step in breaking down these barriers and other factors that limit access to health care and other community resources,” Corenza said.
The Norton Healthcare Mobile Prevention Center will be offering mammograms and well woman exams during the event. Appointments are required. Call (502) 899-6842 to schedule an appointment.
Synergy members are accepting donations of school supplies at these locations through Aug. 8:
- Norton Community Medical Associates – Brownsboro, Norton Medical Plaza II – Brownsboro, Suite 420, 9880 Angies Way – Kirstie Matzek
- Norton Children’s Orthopedics of Louisville, Norton Medical Plaza 1 – St. Matthews, Suite 6F, 3999 Dutchmans Lane – Jeanetta Bennett
- Watterson Tower, 1930 Bishop Lane, fourth- and fifth-floor lobbies – Angela Hendricks
- Norton Leatherman Spine Center, Gray Street Medical Building, Suite 900, 210 E. Gray St. – Corenza Townsend
- Norton Audubon Hospital, 1 Audubon Plaza Drive, Medical Staff Services, lower level 2 – Linda Woolridge