This heart-healthy take on slaw boasts bold flavors, but stays light with the addition of sweet pineapple and light yogurt.
Love coleslaw but wish for a version without so much mayo? Here’s a solution. This refreshing take on slaw boasts bold flavors, but stays light with the addition of sweet pineapple and light yogurt.
This recipe is low-fat, easy, speedy, gluten-free and uses five or fewer ingredients. It will yield four generous servings.
Nutritional benefits of cabbage
Purple and green cabbage offer different nutritional benefits, and both are excellent choices! Purple cabbage has more vitamin C, while green cabbage has more vitamin A, calcium, iron and potassium. Both are good sources of fiber. If you have a hard time using a whole head of cabbage, check out smaller varieties, such as Golden Acre cabbages. They’re about the size of a grapefruit! You can find them at area farmers markets, such as the Douglass Loop Farmers Market in Louisville. Bagged, shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix) is OK too.
Looking for more heart-healthy recipes like this one?
Come to Norton Healthcare’s In the Kitchen cooking classes, featuring free cooking demonstrations and instructions on preparing heart-healthy meals. Various dates and locations are available.
Low-fat Pineapple Slaw
- 3 cups thinly chopped or shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh or canned pineapple
- 4 tablespoons low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 4 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts, pecans or walnuts
- Grate or thinly slice fresh cabbage into bite-size slivers. If you are using bagged coleslaw mix, just measure the amount you need.
- Peel and core a fresh pineapple, then cut it into small, bite-size pieces. If you are using canned pineapple tidbits, drain them well.
- Mix together the cabbage, pineapple, yogurt, light mayonnaise and nuts until well combined.
- Serve the slaw chilled. Keep any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition per serving
190 calories; 15 grams fat; 2.5 grams saturated fat; 6 grams protein; 194 grams sodium; 10 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams added sugar