A few thought-starters to help you give thanks this holiday week
Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to stop and reflect on the past year. This year has been full of highs and lows, but we all can find something we are thankful for.
Gratitude isn’t just for hipsters, mom bloggers and yogis. We can take the moment this Thanksgiving and look outside of ourselves — beyond the turkey and football — and find things for which we are grateful. Plus, it’s good for us.
Gratitude is tied to greater happiness. Look up the science behind it. It’s true. Gratitude helps us feel more positive and have more good experiences. It helps cope with adversity, build strong relationships and improve health.
We have come up with three areas — the fun, the people, and the heavy — to be grateful. If you are new to expressing gratitude, start with the fun. Then, as you warm up, move on to the people. And, if you really want to take on a challenge, tackle the heavy.
P.S. These make great conversation-starters around the Thanksgiving table, too.
What are some small things you are grateful for?
- What is the song you can’t stop singing from this year?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite place you visited (local/national)?
- What was your favorite thing you did at work?
- What was your favorite play/concert this year?
- What is your favorite app?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- What is your favorite local place?
- What is a small thing you use every day you couldn’t live without?
Who are some people you are grateful for in our life?
- Who is the person who makes you laugh most?
- Who is your 3 a.m. call?
- Who do you miss in your life?
- Who are you glad to have in your life?
- Who is the person you look up to?
- Who is the person you have helped?
What are some moments from this past year that you are most grateful for?
- What was the best moment of this year?
- What was the worst moment? (Think about what you learned from it that you can be grateful.)
- What was the “take your breath away” event?
- What moment left you in tears?
- What moment made you laugh?
- What moment will you never forget?