An apple a day can keep the doctor away! With 4 grams of soluble fiber and antioxidants to boot, a medium apple has the power to help prevent health conditions such as pancreatic and colorectal cancer, diabetes, high cholesterol, gallstones, heart disease and cataracts.
Include an apple in your day today with this delicious combination of fresh apples, farro and grilled chicken breast.
Apple Farro Salad With Chicken
- 8 ounces farro grain, dry (sometimes called spelt; barley is a good substitute if you can’t find farro)
- 6 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 ounces unpeeled, diced cucumbers
- 4 ounces unpeeled, diced Granny Smith apples*
- 4 ounces unpeeled, diced Gala apples*
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Cook farro in boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool. Place in bowl. Mix oil with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and rub on raw chicken. Grill until cooked through to 160 F degrees, chill and dice. Place chicken in the bowl with the cooked farro. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
*You can use any crisp local apples in this recipe. If not tossing with the dressing immediately, toss diced apples with water and a few drops of lemon juice to keep apples from browning.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information per serving:
340.6 calories, 18.3 g protein, 46.9 g carbohydrates, 9.2 g total fat, 1.4 g saturated fat, 26.4 g cholesterol, 285.2 mg sodium, 5.2 g dietary fiber
Recipe courtesy of N Good Health.