Kentucky requires wearing a mask at the gym when not exercising. As long as there is at least 6 feet between individuals and the facility is cleaned as required, a mask is not required while actively exercising.
Working from home, staying safe at home or just not moving much? If you’re ready to start or resume a fitness routine, there are plenty of new considerations such as whether you need to wear a mask at the gym and what precautions the fitness center has adopted to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Kentucky recently revised its requirements for fitness centers with direction for masks, cleaning and social distancing.
Kentucky requires wearing a mask at the gym when not exercising. Otherwise, as long as there is at least 6 feet between individuals and the facility and equipment are cleaned as required, a mask is not required while exercising.
“If you’re practicing social distancing, the mask may not be necessary while actively working out,” said Paul S. Schulz, M.D., an infectious diseases specialist and chief of Norton Infectious Diseases Institute.
Questions to ask before returning to the gym
Before returning to a fitness center, you may want to contact the center with some questions first.
“You should ask, ‘What is the plan? How do you clean the equipment? How do you keep the people socially distanced?’ and that sort of thing,” Dr. Schulz said.
- Is there a scheduling system so the fitness center doesn’t get crowded? Kentucky requires fitness centers be no more than half full, excluding employees.
- Are doors and windows left open to improve ventilation?
- Is equipment spaced out at least 6 feet or are machines closed down to ensure the appropriate distancing?
- Are disinfectants available at shared equipment?
- Do employees disinfect equipment or are members expected to do it?
- How does the fitness center handle people who don’t comply with regulations?
- How is social distancing maintained in locker rooms?
Norton Sports Performance
Norton Sports Performance provides a premier system of coaching to deliver specific training that can enhance activities of daily living or sport competition performance.
Norton Sports Performance safety polices:
- Members arrive no more than five minutes before class start time.
- Temperature checks are performed upon arrival.
- Masks are required in all common areas.
- Members bring only what they need into the facility — car keys, water bottle, workout towel.
- All equipment is wiped down between training/exercise blocks within the workout.
- Members exit the building through a side door to avoid interaction with those arriving.
- Total facility cleanings performed at 3 a.m., 1 p.m. and 8 p.m.