Lumbar spinal stenosis care at Norton Leatherman Spine
Pain and difficulty with walking doesn’t need to limit activities in older patients. Norton Leatherman Spine is the premier destination for patients in Louisville, Southern Indiana and beyond with lumbar spinal stenosis.
Our skilled physicians have the experience to identify the right treatment for a broad range of spinal conditions — including the most complicated problems and common problems like spinal stenosis that affect millions of older patients.
Our specialists know that surgery isn’t right for everyone. If simpler treatments don’t work, and relief will come only from an operation, you’ll want surgeons with the most experience and expertise.
Restoring lives limited by lumbar spinal stenosis
Our orthopedic and neurosurgical spine physicians combine proven treatments that have built our reputation for over 25 years with new developments at the leading edge of innovative care. We’ll evaluate your case and give you a treatment plan customized for you.
As the most comprehensive spine care team in the region, Norton Leatherman Spine routinely cares for patients for whom treatment elsewhere has failed to provide the necessary relief. This is particularly true for spinal stenosis, where identifying the best treatment can sometimes be difficult.
If surgery is required, some patients with lumbar spinal stenosis can be treated by limited decompression of the involved nerves. In other cases, associated problems such as scoliosis or spondylolisthesis create the need for more involved procedures. Norton Leatherman Spine specialists have the experience and expertise to select the right procedure the first time. This helps to avoid poor outcomes or the need for additional surgeries.
Depending on your case, our surgeons may perform a minimally invasive decompression to remove the overgrown ligament or bone spurs that cause your pain and difficulty with walking.
In a minimally invasive procedure, we make smaller incisions through which we can relieve the spinal stenosis. This eases pressure on the nerves and helps relieve pain.
A smaller incision means you can get back on your feet faster and resume living your life. Patients typically go home the day of surgery (outpatient surgery).
Lumbar decompression and fusion
With spinal instability problems such as spondylolisthesis or lumbar scoliosis, your surgeon may need to restore spinal stability to allow effective decompression of the nerves. Norton Leatherman Spine surgeons have the training and experience to perform these procedures safely and effectively.
New advances such as robotic-assisted surgery and computer-assisted navigation for spinal surgery are used at Norton Leatherman Spine and allow for these more complicated procedures, with less recovery time and less postoperative pain. Decompression and fusion reduce pain and restore function by removing bone and ligament overgrowth compressing the nerves, while maintaining the spinal stability and restoring the spinal alignment needed for maximal function.
Making it easy to get back to your life
- With six Norton Leatherman Spine locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- We use minimally invasive procedures that can reduce recovery time and reduce the risk of complications.
- Sophisticated pain management aims to keep you comfortable and safe.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Leatherman Spine
Norton Leatherman Spine in Louisville and Southern Indiana offers world-class care from surgeons who are recognized nationally and internationally for their innovation, expertise and skill. Norton Leatherman Spine is one of the premier research and education programs in the United States for spinal surgeons.
Our rich history traces back to Kenton D. Leatherman, M.D., who more than 50 years ago became the first orthopedic surgeon in Kentucky to specialize in spine care. A University of Louisville School of Medicine graduate, he developed leading-edge approaches to treating scoliosis after World War II.
- The board-certified and fellowship-trained specialists at Norton Leatherman Spine are among the most experienced in the country, treating conditions like yours for an average of 20 years.
- We have orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons providing care from our offices in downtown Louisville and surrounding counties.
- Our physicians pinpoint your diagnosis to come up with the right treatment plan, including surgical and nonsurgical options as appropriate.
- We offer minimally invasive and robotic-assisted procedures that carry less risk and can speed your recovery. Norton Leatherman Spine surgeons are actively involved in the development of next generation minimally invasive technologies.
- The physicians at Norton Leatherman are leaders in their field and train the next generation of specialists. Norton Leatherman Spine’s physicians trained more than 100 of the leading spine surgeons practicing throughout the U.S. today.
- Techniques developed at Norton Leatherman Spine have produced better outcomes for patients with fewer side effects and are routinely performed around the world today.
- Our team performs more than 4,000 surgeries a year, and patients come to our providers more than 30,000 times a year.
We are seeing record high temperatures in Greater Louisville already this spring. These early hot days mean you can get caught off guard by heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat [...]Read Full Story
Under the VA Mission Act of 2018, eligible U.S. veterans now are able to get treatment for minor injuries and illnesses such as colds, sore throats and minor skin infections at urgent care clinics through […]Read Full Story
Karen Allen, R.N., oncology patient navigator for Norton Cancer Institute, sees the patient navigator role as a “bridge across the canyon of uncertainty” for patients who are newly diagnosed with cancer. “I imagine my family […]Read Full Story
You have a thing for bags. The bigger the better, right? Sure, a big, fabulous bag might be able to hold everything you want to carry with you, but all that extra baggage is doing […]Read Full Story