Norton Leatherman Spine is respected around the world as a leading provider of spine care. We also are the premier destination for patients in Louisville, Southern Indiana and beyond with cervical radiculopathy (cervical disc herniation or pinched nerve(s) in the neck).
Neck pain and arm pain don’t need to get in the way of living a full life.
Our skilled physicians have the experience to identify the correct treatment for a broad range of spinal conditions — including the most complicated problems — as well as neck pain and arm pain that affect many patients every day.
Our specialists know surgery isn’t right for everyone. If simpler treatments don’t work, and relief will come only from an operation, you’ll want surgeons at the leading edge of technology, using minimally invasive procedures.
International Reputation for Excellence
As the most comprehensive team of spine care specialists in the region, we will consider surgery for cervical disc herniation or radiculopathy (pinched nerve) only if other treatment options fail to provide relief. We’ll evaluate your case and give you a treatment plan customized for you.
Norton Leatherman Spine specialists are known internationally for their work. They apply the same level of expertise and care to common neck surgeries as they do complex surgeries.
Posterior Cervical Laminotomy/Foraminotomy
Depending on your case, our surgeons may perform a minimally invasive discectomy or laminotomy to remove the part of the herniated disc causing your pain.
In a minimally invasive procedure, we make smaller incisions through which we can remove the herniated disc. This relieves pressure on the nerve and helps relieve pain.
A smaller incision means you can get back on your feet faster and resume living your life. Patients typically go home the day after surgery.
Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) or Cervical Disc Arthroplasty (CDA)
New advances allow for minimally invasive approaches with less recovery time and less postoperative pain. Surgery reduces pain and restores function by removing bone and ligament overgrowth or disc material compressing the nerves.
The expertise of our surgeons helps us choose the right procedure the first time, minimizing the risk for complications or additional surgery.
Making It Easy to Get Back to Your Life
- With six Norton Leatherman Spine locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- We use minimally invasive procedures that can reduce recovery time and reduce the risk of complications.
- Sophisticated pain management aims to keep you comfortable and safe.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Leatherman Spine
Norton Leatherman Spine in Louisville and Southern Indiana offers world-class care from surgeons who are recognized nationally and internationally for their innovation, expertise and skill. Norton Leatherman Spine is one of the premier research and education programs in the United States for spinal surgeons.
Our rich history traces back to Kenton D. Leatherman, M.D., who more than 50 years ago became the first orthopedic surgeon in Kentucky to specialize in spine care. A University of Louisville School of Medicine graduate, he developed leading-edge approaches to treating scoliosis after World War II.
- The board-certified and fellowship-trained specialists at Norton Leatherman Spine are among the most experienced in the country, treating conditions like yours for an average of 20 years.
- We have orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons providing care from our offices in downtown Louisville and surrounding counties.
- Our physicians pinpoint your diagnosis to come up with the right treatment plan, including surgical and nonsurgical options as appropriate.
- We offer minimally invasive and robotic-assisted procedures that carry less risk and can speed your recovery. Norton Leatherman Spine surgeons are actively involved in the development of next generation minimally invasive technologies.
- The physicians at Norton Leatherman are leaders in their field and train the next generation of specialists. Norton Leatherman Spine’s physicians trained more than 100 of the leading spine surgeons practicing throughout the U.S. today.
- Techniques developed at Norton Leatherman Spine have produced better outcomes for patients with fewer side effects and are routinely performed around the world today.
- Our team performs more than 4,000 surgeries a year, and patients come to our providers more than 30,000 times a year.