Spinal deformities include a wide variety of conditions that affect both children and adults. The orthopedic spine surgeons at Norton Leatherman Spine have extensive experience treating the most severe spinal deformities.
Spinal deformities commonly treated at Norton Leatherman Spine include:
- Scoliosis: an abnormal curvature of the spine as seen from the front or back view
- Kyphosis: an abnormal curvature of the spine from the side view; curvature usually appears as a hump
- Spondylolisthesis: a spinal deformity that occurs when a vertebra at the base of the spine slips out of place; this spinal deformity is rarely visible from the outside and can only be seen on X-ray
Internationally Recognized Expertise in Treating Spinal Deformities
The orthopedic spine surgeons at Norton Leatherman Spine have internationally recognized expertise in spinal deformities. Their experience and expertise provide state-of-the-art techniques and complex surgical treatments for spinal deformities.
They also offer nonsurgical treatments for mild spinal deformities.
Norton Leatherman Spine Provides the Following Treatments for Spinal Deformities and Curvatures of the Spine
- Observation: Observation is recommended for minor spinal deformities and for curvatures of the spine that aren’t getting worse or causing problems. Observation includes visits at regular intervals to check the spinal deformity and ensure it is not progressing.
- Medications: Medications may be prescribed to help treat pain from spinal deformities and reduce inflammation.
- Bracing: Bracing may be recommended for children with curves within a range of severity.
- Injections: Injections may be used to treat pain and reduce swelling.
- Surgery: Surgery may be recommended for severe spinal deformities that cause pain or other difficulties, and those spinal curves that are at risk for getting worse over time.