Nearly everyone experiences back pain at some point in their lives, making it one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor. Chances are you’ve probably felt a dull aching, sharp or burning sensation in your lower back. You may have even had pain or weakness in your leg, hip or the bottom of your foot, depending on the cause of your pain.
Back pain causes may include:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Disc damage, such as herniated discs or bulging discs
- Certain medical conditions, such as fibromyalgia
- Small fractures to the spine from osteoporosis
- Strains or tears to the muscles or surrounding tissues that support the back
Preventing and Diagnosing Chronic Back Pain
Maintaining a healthy weight, keeping your abdominal muscles strong and flexible, and using good posture are all keys to preventing chronic back pain.
If you do experience pain, the exact cause usually can be determined through a medical evaluation and diagnostic testing. Your physician will examine your back and discuss your symptoms and medical history with you to help determine your diagnosis. Additional tests, such as X-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scans also may be required to confirm a diagnosis.
Comprehensive Treatment Options at Norton Leatherman Spine
If you are experiencing chronic lower back pain, there is hope — many nonsurgical treatment options can eliminate all symptoms and complications associated with this frustrating condition. Norton Leatherman Spine specialists may suggest a variety of nonsurgical chronic back pain treatment options, including:
- Cold/heat therapyInjections to reduce swelling around a nerve
- Mental health therapy to help you better understand and manage your pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication
- Physical therapy
If these treatments don’t provide relief from your pain, spinal surgery may be an option. Surgery is considered only for patients who have nerve damage or a condition that does not heal after a long period of time.