The Norton Leatherman Spine team is respected around the world and in the region for our expertise in caring for acute cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine fractures caused by auto accidents, sports, falls and all other traumatic injuries.
Our surgeons are members of the University of Louisville School of Medicine Department of Orthopedic Surgery, where they have served for over three decades as the primary orthopedic spine surgeons who treat spine trauma. In this capacity, as part of the university Level 1 trauma team, we have the expertise to treat all types of acute and chronic spine trauma with the most modern techniques.
Research is a cornerstone of modern surgical trauma treatment techniques. We are involved in spine trauma research. We participate in trauma research study groups, paper and course presentations at national spinal meetings, and we publish important articles on spinal trauma treatment in national peer-reviewed medical journals.
Our specialists are committed to advancing medical science to provide superior outcomes for trauma patients and to restore maximum function following severe traumatic spinal injuries.
Depending on the severity and type of injury, our specialists will arrange for transfer to our centers to discuss options ranging from rehabilitation to bracing to restorative spinal surgery.
An international reputation for excellence
The Norton Leatherman Spine surgeons are leaders in treatment of traumatic spinal injuries. We use the most up-to-date surgical techniques and technology to restore and repair the spine while preserving existing neurological function. We also have been a leader in the development of computer-assisted surgery, offering:
- Greater precision around critical structures of the spine when treating spinal trauma
- Robotics and neuromonitoring techniques for the spinal cord and nerves during surgery
We also have highly specialized team members, including general surgeons who specialize in polytrauma patients, nurse practioners, experienced operating room nurses, scrub technicians and floor nurses who are experienced in caring for trauma patients.
Whether treated at Norton Leatherman Spine, Norton Children’s Hospital, Norton Hospital or the University of Louisville Trauma Center by our experienced Norton Leatherman Spine orthopedic trauma staff, our patients have the benefit of a team of physicians who have treated thousands of adults and children from around the region with highly specialized care.
We have the commitment and experience to give you a pinpoint diagnosis and treat your condition with some of the most advanced techniques so you can get back to living your life.
Making it easy to get back to your life
- With six Norton Leatherman Spine locations in Greater Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- We use minimally invasive procedures that can reduce recovery time and risk of complications.
- Sophisticated pain management aims to keep you comfortable and safe.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Leatherman Spine
Norton Leatherman Spine in Louisville and Southern Indiana offers world-class care from surgeons who are recognized nationally and internationally for their innovation, expertise and skill. Norton Leatherman Spine is one of the premier research and education programs in the United States for spinal surgeons.
Our rich history traces back to Kenton D. Leatherman, M.D., who more than 50 years ago became the first orthopedic surgeon in Kentucky to specialize in spine care. A University of Louisville School of Medicine graduate, he developed leading-edge approaches to treating scoliosis after World War II.
- The board-certified and fellowship-trained specialists at Norton Leatherman Spine are among the most experienced in the country, treating conditions like yours for an average of 20 years.
- We have orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons providing care from our offices in downtown Louisville and surrounding counties.
Our physicians pinpoint your diagnosis to come up with the right treatment plan, including surgical and nonsurgical options as appropriate.
- We offer minimally invasive and robotic-assisted procedures that carry less risk and can speed your recovery. Norton Leatherman Spine surgeons are actively involved in the development of next generation minimally invasive technologies.
- The physicians at Norton Leatherman are leaders in their field and train the next generation of specialists. Norton Leatherman Spine’s physicians trained more than 100 of the leading spine surgeons practicing throughout the U.S. today.
- Techniques developed at Norton Leatherman Spine have produced better outcomes for patients with fewer side effects and are routinely performed around the world today.
- Our team performs more than 4,000 surgeries a year, and patients come to our providers more than 30,000 times a year.
We are seeing record high temperatures in Greater Louisville already this spring. These early hot days mean you can get caught off guard by heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat [...]Read Full Story
Under the VA Mission Act of 2018, eligible U.S. veterans now are able to get treatment for minor injuries and illnesses such as colds, sore throats and minor skin infections at urgent care clinics through […]Read Full Story
Karen Allen, R.N., oncology patient navigator for Norton Cancer Institute, sees the patient navigator role as a “bridge across the canyon of uncertainty” for patients who are newly diagnosed with cancer. “I imagine my family […]Read Full Story
You have a thing for bags. The bigger the better, right? Sure, a big, fabulous bag might be able to hold everything you want to carry with you, but all that extra baggage is doing […]Read Full Story