Gastric sleeve surgery with Norton Weight Management Services offers patients in Louisville and Southern Indiana support before and after your procedure to to help you succeed.
What Is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric sleeve surgery is a laparoscopic procedure that removes approximately 80% of the stomach, leaving a tubular pouch resembling a banana. The new stomach pouch will hold considerably less food, reducing the amount of food that can be consumed. The surgery also seems to have an effect on the hormones that affect hunger, feeling full and blood sugar.
Gastric sleeve surgery may not be performed laparoscopically for every patient. Patients with a very high body mass index (BMI) or who have had extensive previous abdominal surgery may require a traditional open surgery. Safety, not incision size, is the most important concern during this operation.
Benefits of Gastric Sleeve
Sleeve gastrectomy surgery has proved to be a reliable solution for major weight loss. Generally, patients lose around 60% to 70% of their excess weight and, like gastric bypass surgery, the procedure offers faster results compared with gastric band surgery, although it is more invasive. Individual weight loss results will vary. As with all weight loss procedures, participation in Norton Weight Management Services’ support network is vital to your success. Patients who join our monthly support groups and keep in contact with program staff report higher rates of success.
All surgeries come with risks of complications — some minor and some severe. Patients should discuss potential complications and risks with their physician.
According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, the risk of major complications from sleeve gastrectomy is low (about 2%). Talk with your physician about all the potential risks and complications from sleeve gastrectomy, which may include:
- Bleeding – can be mild, moderate or heavy
- Death – 1% to 2% risk
- Heart attack – occurs when the heart does not get enough blood
- Hernia – a bulge at the incision site
- Leakage where the staples were placed
- Pulmonary embolism – a blood clot that travels to the lungs
- Stricture – abnormal tightening where the stomach and intestine are sewn together
- Stroke – occurs when the brain does not get enough blood
- Wound infection – especially with a traditional open incision
Why Norton Weight Management Services?
Norton Weight Management Services is a resource for individuals who struggle with weight loss after having little or no success through traditional dieting or exercise. We offer the latest surgical and medical weight loss solutions; nutritional and behavioral counseling; personalized and group support; and ongoing follow-up care to help you succeed.
Our team is made up of fellowship-trained, board-certified surgeons who perform more than 500 procedures each year, nurses, dietitians and behavioral health specialists who are dedicated to patients’ lifelong health and success.
Norton Weight Management Services offers:
- Lifetime, unlimited support (even before surgery) for a one-time $300 cost
- A nurse navigator who is your guide during treatment and throughout the entire process
- Online medical weight management program seminar
- No mandatory food or vitamins
- Weekly seminars
- Surgeons on call 24 hours a day
- Located at 1000 Dupont Road, Louisville, Kentucky
Gastric Sleeve Cost
Many insurance plans cover all or part of gastric sleeve surgery. The gastric sleeve surgery cost for uninsured patients is approximately $23,000, including hospital, physician, anesthesiology and radiology services. If additional care is required for any complications, additional charges may apply.