Arthritis Care From Louisville’s Orthopedics Leader
The Norton Orthopedic Institute is the leader in Louisville and Southern Indiana for orthopedic care. If you have arthritis, we have the specialists who can help.
Our experts have the diagnostic tools and expertise to get you moving again. We treat all types of arthritis, including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
We’ll focus on reducing pain and discomfort by promoting lifestyle changes such as exercise, physical therapy and diet. If those efforts don’t help you restore joint motion and functionality, the next steps would be medication and sometimes surgery.
Expertise That Gets You Moving
Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis and tends to strike as we age. The joints wear down and increasingly cartilage is lost and the bones rub together. Over time, this rubbing can permanently damage the joint.
Osteoarthritis can occur in any joint but usually affects the hands, knees, hips or spine.
No single test can diagnose osteoarthritis. Our specialists may use several methods to pinpoint your diagnosis and devise a treatment plan.
Treatment can range from anti-inflammatories to surgical options.
With a joint replacement, the rough surfaces of the joint are replaced with a medical-grade metal and often plastic cushioning.
Ninety-eight percent of joint replacement patients at Norton Orthopedic Institute are up and walking within four hours of surgery. Thanks to less invasive techniques pioneered by Norton Orthopedic Institute surgeons, some hip-replacement patients can go home the same day.
Osteoarthritis can be slowed with good nutrition and staying active. Far from wearing the joint out, an active lifestyle keeps joints lubricated and protected.
Our specialists also treat infectious arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in adults and juveniles.
Rheumatoid arthritis can affect body parts besides the joints, such as the eyes, mouth and lungs. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease, which means the immune system attacks the body’s own tissues.
No one knows what causes rheumatoid arthritis. Genes, environment and hormones might contribute.
Our rheumatologists will diagnose your condition and tailor a treatment plan. It could include medication, lifestyle changes and surgery that could slow or stop joint damage and reduce pain and swelling.
Care That’s Focused On You
- Minimally invasive procedures can have you home quickly with less pain and faster recovery.
- Sophisticated pain management aims to keep you comfortable and safe.
- We have a deep commitment to getting you moving again and managing your pain so you can keep up with your physical therapy.
- Norton Joint Camp is a chance for you to learn about what to expect if you’re having joint replacement surgery. You’ll get help preparing yourself and your home for your recovery. You’ll learn ways to minimize pain and recover faster.
- With 30 orthopedic locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
- Download “A Body in Motion Stays in Motion,” our guide to exercises for preventing arthritis.