Louisville’s Hip Care Innovation Leader
Norton Orthopedic Institute is the leading provider of orthopedic care, including hips, in Louisville and Southern Indiana. With a deep commitment to innovation and constant learning, this means you can count on our team to be on the leading edge of hip procedures and techniques.
Depending on the specific conditions, some people may only need physical therapy and anti-inflammatory treatment, some may need surgery to repair and preserve the hip, and others may be candidates for a hip replacement. Our skilled providers will listen to you and recommend the best treatment solution for your condition.
Advancing Hip Care Knowledge and Expertise
We care for thousands of people with hip conditions every year. That means our providers have the commitment and experience to give you a precise diagnosis and treat your condition with sophisticated techniques that can get you moving again with less pain and fewer complications.
Norton Orthopedic Institute’s high level of care has merited the Gold Seal of Approval for knee and hip replacement from The Joint Commission — a top nationwide accreditation organization. Physicians from the Louisville area and elsewhere train with Norton Orthopedic Institute providers on orthopedic techniques and procedures.
Our innovative surgeons employ techniques that have made hip replacement less invasive so you can get back to being active faster.
In fact, more than 85 percent of our joint replacement patients are up and walking within four hours of the procedure. Some patients who qualify for anterior-approach hip replacement can have surgery in the morning and go home in the afternoon.
One of the pioneers in anterior-approach hip replacements, Jonathan G. Yerasimides, M.D., has been performing the procedure for 10 years. The orthopedic surgeons at Norton Orthopedic Institute perform more than 1,200 anterior-approach hip replacements each year.
By replacing the hip through an incision in the front of the leg, rather than the back, most patients recover faster and with less pain because key muscles are not detached during the surgery. It also uses a smaller incision to help reduce scarring.
Average recovery time for anterior-approach hip replacement surgery is two to eight weeks instead of the typical two to four months with conventional surgery.
Your insurance company may require you to try physical therapy and injections before surgery.
Care That’s Focused on You
- Minimally invasive procedures can have you home quickly with less pain and faster recovery.
- Sophisticated pain management aims to keep you comfortable and safe.
- We have a deep commitment to getting you moving again and managing your pain so you can keep up with your physical therapy.
- Norton Joint Camp is a chance for you to learn about what to expect if you’re having hip surgery. You’ll get help preparing yourself and your home for your recovery. You’ll learn ways to minimize pain and recover faster.
- With 30 orthopedic locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Orthopedic Institute
Norton Orthopedic Institute has more orthopedic specialists caring for more patients than any other health care provider in Louisville or Southern Indiana.
- We have more than 80 providers, including board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons at 30 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- We offer same-day appointments.
- We have sports medicine specialists who understand the stresses on an athlete’s body and have the expertise to provide the right treatment for your injury.
- Our providers are pioneers in innovative orthopedic surgeries focused on minimizing pain and recovery time.
- Our physicians and advanced practice providers pinpoint your diagnosis, offer the right care and get you moving again.