Dedicated to Preventing and Treating Osteoporosis
Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital is the first hospital in Louisville and Southern Indiana to establish a program dedicated to preventing and treating osteoporosis. As part of the Norton Orthopedic Institute, the Louisville area’s leading orthopedic care program, our osteoporosis patients have access to innovative care from expert physicians.
We established the Bone Health Program to reduce the risk of falls and fractures caused by fragile bones. We want to end second fractures. Working with Own the Bone, we offer preventive services and treatment plans for patients at risk of bone health issues or dealing with them.
The DEXA Scan is Part of Fracture Prevention
We use a state-of-the-art bone densitometry DEXA scanner, also known as a DXA. Our technologists are specially trained to scan for bone density.
The DEXA scan is an enhanced form of X-ray that measures bone density. It’s quick, painless and noninvasive.
Our osteoporosis specialists work with other physicians and a team of health care providers, including a physical therapist, dietitian and nurse practitioner to treat your osteoporosis. We provide information and support to help make lifestyle changes that help bone health.
Osteoporosis patients have access to a nurse navigator who knows how to get things done in the health care world. The nurse navigator can provide one-on-one support and assistance with bone health resources and referrals to specialists.
Those who suffer a fracture caused by osteoporosis need the specialized care the experts at Norton Orthopedic Institute provide.
Care That Prevents Injury
- The Bone Health Program is at Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital in St. Matthews. Norton Orthopedic Institute has 30 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- We have educational materials geared toward your specific age group and gender.
- Our providers can help with lifestyle and nutritional questions.
- Quarterly classes through the Marshall Women’s Health & Education Center help you stay on top of managing your osteoporosis.
- We have a state-of-the-art bone densitometry DEXA scanner and dedicated technologists specifically trained in bone density scanning
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.