Chronic Back Pain
Nearly everyone experiences back pain at some point in their lives, making it one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor. Chances are you’ve probably felt a dull aching, sharp or burning sensation in your lower back. You may have even had pain or weakness in your leg, hip or the bottom of your foot, depending on the cause of your pain.
Back pain causes may include:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Disc damage, such as herniated discs or bulging discs
- Certain medical conditions, such as fibromyalgia
- Small fractures to the spine from osteoporosis
- Strains or tears to the muscles or surrounding tissues that support the back
Preventing and diagnosing chronic back pain
Maintaining a healthy weight, keeping your abdominal muscles strong and flexible, and using good posture are all keys to preventing chronic back pain.
If you do experience pain, the exact cause usually can be determined through a medical evaluation and diagnostic testing. Your physician will examine your back and discuss your symptoms and medical history with you to help determine your diagnosis. Additional tests, such as X-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scans also may be required to confirm a diagnosis.
Comprehensive treatment options at Norton Leatherman Spine
If you are experiencing chronic lower back pain, there is hope — many nonsurgical treatment options can eliminate all symptoms and complications associated with this frustrating condition. Norton Leatherman Spine Center specialists may suggest a variety of nonsurgical chronic back pain treatment options, including:
- Cold/heat therapyInjections to reduce swelling around a nerve
- Mental health therapy to help you better understand and manage your pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication
- Physical therapy
If these treatments don’t provide relief from your pain, spinal surgery may be an option. Surgery is considered only for patients who have nerve damage or a condition that does not heal after a long period of time.
Making it easy to get back to your life
- With six Norton Leatherman Spine locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- We use minimally invasive procedures that can reduce recovery time and reduce the risk of complications.
- Sophisticated pain management aims to keep you comfortable and safe.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Leatherman Spine
Norton Leatherman Spine in Louisville and Southern Indiana offers world-class care from surgeons who are recognized nationally and internationally for their innovation, expertise and skill. Norton Leatherman Spine is one of the premier research and education programs in the United States for spinal surgeons.
Our rich history traces back to Kenton D. Leatherman, M.D., who more than 50 years ago became the first orthopedic surgeon in Kentucky to specialize in spine care. A University of Louisville School of Medicine graduate, he developed leading-edge approaches to treating scoliosis after World War II.
- The board-certified and fellowship-trained specialists at Norton Leatherman Spine are among the most experienced in the country, treating conditions like yours for an average of 20 years.
- We have orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons providing care from our offices in downtown Louisville and surrounding counties.
- Our physicians pinpoint your diagnosis to come up with the right treatment plan, including surgical and nonsurgical options as appropriate.
- We offer minimally invasive and robotic-assisted procedures that carry less risk and can speed your recovery. Norton Leatherman Spine surgeons are actively involved in the development of next generation minimally invasive technologies.
- The physicians at Norton Leatherman Spine are leaders in their field and train the next generation of specialists. Norton Leatherman Spine’s physicians trained more than 100 of the leading spine surgeons practicing throughout the U.S. today.
- Techniques developed at Norton Leatherman Spine have produced better outcomes for patients with fewer side effects and are routinely performed around the world today.
- Our team performs more than 4,000 surgeries a year, and patients come to our providers more than 30,000 times a year.
We are seeing record high temperatures in Greater Louisville already this spring. These early hot days mean you can get caught off guard by heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat [...]Read Full Story
Under the VA Mission Act of 2018, eligible U.S. veterans now are able to get treatment for minor injuries and illnesses such as colds, sore throats and minor skin infections at urgent care clinics through […]Read Full Story
Karen Allen, R.N., oncology patient navigator for Norton Cancer Institute, sees the patient navigator role as a “bridge across the canyon of uncertainty” for patients who are newly diagnosed with cancer. “I imagine my family […]Read Full Story
You have a thing for bags. The bigger the better, right? Sure, a big, fabulous bag might be able to hold everything you want to carry with you, but all that extra baggage is doing […]Read Full Story