Atrial Fibrillation (AF or A-fib)
Louisville’s foremost source of atrial fibrillation care
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute’s specialists are the leading providers of atrial fibrillation (A-fib) care in Louisville and Southern Indiana. They treat more than 400 atrial fibrillation patients a year.
Norton Hospital and Norton Audubon Hospital have the highest level certification status from the American College of Cardiology to treat this most common of the heart arrhythmias.
Through the Norton Heart & Vascular Institute Heart Rhythm Center, our four board-certified and fellowship-trained electrophysiologists have the technology to pinpoint the cause of your A-fib.
With a clear understanding of your A-fib causes, our specialists will work closely with you to customize a treatment plan that can get you back to living your life.
Our specialists have the skill and experience to know whether your A-fib can be controlled with medication or require more sophisticated treatment, such as ablation or other surgical options.
Personalized A-fib treatment
Atrial fibrillation causes the upper chambers of the heart to beat quickly and irregularly. A-fib puts those who suffer from it at five times the usual risk for stroke and can lead to heart failure.
Many people don’t know they have it.
The Norton Heart & Vascular Institute atrial fibrillation teams handle diagnosis and develop a treatment plan that is right for you. Our experts also are ready to evaluate more advanced cases that may require minimally invasive surgery that typically doesn’t require a night in the hospital.
Our providers have expertise in a common treatment for A-fib — catheter ablation. In this procedure, the surgeon threads a tool through a vein guided by a 3-D map of your heart. At the spot of tissue that’s causing the irregular heartbeat, the surgeon delivers a small burst of heat, radio frequency or cryoablation (cold) — depending on your condition — to destroy the malfunctioning tissue causing A-fib.
To reduce the risk of an A-fib-related stroke, Norton Heart & Vascular Institute has been performing Watchman implants longer than any other hospital system in Louisville or Southern Indiana. The implant, first used in Louisville in 2016 at the Norton Heart & Vascular Institute, prevents blood clots from breaking loose in the left atrial appendage and entering the bloodstream. The implant allows many patients to stop taking blood-thinning medication, such as warfarin, and is a treatment for those that are unable to take blood thinners.
Our care for your heart doesn’t stop when you go home. We provide 24-hour Holter monitors, 30-day event recorders, complete follow-up care and wireless device monitoring for Louisville-area patients with pacemakers and implantable defibrillators.
A-fib care for the whole person
We offer classes, events and support groups for patients and families. To make an register for any activity, call (502) 629-1234.
- Norton Heart & Vascular Institute Resource Center offers education, support and resources for men and women of all ages seeking to improve cardiovascular health, including free classes with topics ranging from tai chi to living a full life with heart failure.
- A-fib education workshops at the Marshall Women’s Health & Education Center. discuss the latest in treatment and education offerings. Learn how to live with A-fib at NortonHealthcare.com/AfibEducation.
- Circle of Hearts: A free education series from Norton Women’s Heart & Vascular Center dedicated to teaching women about heart disease.
- WomenHeart: Trained heart disease survivors providing recovery plans for women with heart disease.
- Pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation: Medically supervised exercise program and education for patients struggling with respiratory ailments or recovering from a cardiac event.
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more cardiovascular patients — about 100,000 every year — than any provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiologists, electrophysiologists, cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s leader.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in the state.
- The American College of Cardiology Accreditation Services certifies Norton Healthcare for chest pain and atrial fibrillation care.
Disney star Cameron Boyce’s family says a seizure led to his death: What is sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP)?
When actor Cameron Boyce, a star of the Disney Channel show “Jessie,” died at age 20, his family said in a statement that his sudden death was due to a seizure during sleep. According to […]Read Full Story
Deanna Polsgrove, practice manager for Norton Infectious Disease Specialists, considers patients to be like family. She cries with them and celebrates with them. So, when a patient gave birth to a healthy baby girl, Deanna […]Read Full Story
For the second year in a row, Norton Healthcare has been identified as one of the companies liked best by female workers in Forbes' second annual ranking of America's Best Employers for Women. This recognition [...]Read Full Story