Louisville’s Thoracic Surgery Leader
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute’s board-certified and fellowship-trained thoracic surgeons are the leaders in Louisville and Southern Indiana in providing minimally invasive lobectomy and other surgeries in the chest and abdomen.
Our surgeons treat a broad range of conditions affecting the chest and torso, esophagus and lungs, including lung cancer. Our specialists are sought after for their skill with minimally invasive and robotic-assisted thoracic surgery. They are leaders in new minimally invasive diagnostic and treatment technologies, including the use of cesium-131 brachytherapy cancer treatments.
Patients with some of the most advanced conditions seek out George J. Mikos, M.D., and the thoracic surgery team for their skill, experience and easy access. We offer new patients same-day appointments.
Dr. Mikos, with more than 20 years’ experience as a thoracic surgeon, performs operations at Norton Audubon Hospital, Norton Brownsboro Hospital, Norton Hospital and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital. Our team performs more specialized thoracic surgeries each year than any other provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
Experience and Expertise Across Various Specialties
So many of the body’s functions are primarily located in the chest, and our thoracic surgeons work closely with physicians across Norton Healthcare to bring you complete, multidisciplinary care.
Our team has the experience and expertise to provide a precise diagnosis and determine whether your condition requires surgery or can be treated by other means.
Conditions we treat include:
- Lung nodules
- Lung cancer tumors
- Chest reconstruction
- Pleural effusion
- Pneumothorax (collapsed lung)
- Esophageal reconstruction
- Thymus disorders
- Hiatal hernia and reflux issues
- Thymic tumors
Comprehensive Lung Care
Norton Cardiothoracic Surgery works closely with Norton Cancer Institute to provide comprehensive multidisciplinary lung care to patients across the Kentucky and Southern Indiana region. Our thoracic surgery team plays a key role for patients who seek care at the Norton Cancer Institute Comprehensive Lung Center to provide surgical interventions as needed for lung nodules, lung tumors and lobectomies.
This multidisciplinary team approach has been designated as a Center of Excellence by the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, reserved for programs designed to accelerate lung cancer detection and patient treatment by using the most advanced technology available.
Some of the most advanced lung care available includes our ability to offer minimally invasive lung-cancer surgeries (lobectomies) and also partial lobectomies that save part of your lung. Dr. Mikos performs this technique, which results in patients having less pain and the ability to recover in about half the time as conventional surgery.
Care That’s Focused on You
Norton Cardiothoracic Surgery offers the latest in technology, treatments and easy access to care so that you can get back to life as quickly as possible.
- Minimally invasive procedures can have you home quickly with less pain and faster recovery.
- We exceed national benchmarks for days spent in hospital following a procedure.
- Most procedures require one day or less in the hospital, and most patients spend no time in intensive care.
- Surgeons trained and experienced at highly precise robotic assisted thoracic surgery.
- Our lung cancer screening program includes smoking cessation resources.
- We offer same-day appointments for new patients.
- Care is available at any of the four Norton Healthcare adult hospitals.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.