Finding the right provider is a crucial first step in your pregnancy journey. It’s important to choose a specialist who will help you through all three trimesters, labor and delivery, and postpartum.
There are two provider options for expectant mothers: obstetricians/gynecologists (OB/GYNs) or midwives.
Learn more about OB/GYNs and midwives to help determine what choice is right for you.
This is a physician who specializes in pregnancy, birth and postpartum. An OB/GYN has had four years of medical education and a four-year residency program. An OB/GYN can care for you if you are considered a high-risk pregnancy.
Midwives are registered nurses who have completed graduate-level programs in midwifery. A good fit for low-risk pregnancies, midwives provide comprehensive maternity care from the first prenatal visit through labor and delivery and beyond. Most midwives attend deliveries in a hospital setting, offering a personalized and supportive birth experience within the safety and security of the hospital.
Questions to Ask When Choosing a Provider for Your Pregnancy
It’s important to find an obstetric provider with whom you’re comfortable. Below are some questions you may want to consider asking as you find an OB/GYN or midwife who is a good fit.
- What is your philosophy of childbirth?
- How long have you been practicing?
- Who is responsible for my case if you’re not available?
- How do you regard birthing plans?
- What are your thoughts on pain relief during labor?
- Do you support natural childbirth?
- Do you support moving around during labor and changing positions?
- Are you open to the use of a labor tub?
- How often will I see you during these next months?
- When and why might you recommend inducing labor?
- In what situations might you recommend a cesarean section (C-section)?
- How do you feel about the use of doulas?
- What is your protocol for the birth of twins and breech births?
Find a Norton Healthcare OB/GYN or Midwife
Norton Healthcare OB/GYNs deliver more babies in Louisville and Southern Indiana than any other provider. Our expertise and personalized care are just two reasons so many parents choose to deliver at Norton Healthcare hospitals.
Norton Healthcare’s midwifery practice provides comprehensive, family-centered maternity care from the first prenatal visit through labor and delivery, and after the birth of your baby.