TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement) for aortic stenosis
TAVR: A less invasive option for severe aortic stenosis
Specialists at Norton Heart & Vascular Institute, the leading cardiovascular care provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana, perform transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR, also referred to as TAVI). The TAVR procedure is an alternative for patients who cannot undergo standard open aortic valve replacement.
The board-certified and fellowship-trained interventional cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Heart & Vascular Institute team up to conduct a TAVR procedure. Performed though a catheter, it requires only a short hospital stay, many just overnight. Many patients report improvement in symptoms including shortness of breath and improvement in leg swelling.
Our experts recommend TAVR for high-risk and inoperable sufferers of aortic stenosis — a narrowing of the aortic valve that prevents it from opening fully. One in two patients with untreated symptoms of severe aortic stenosis will die within an average of two years.
The TAVR procedure does not remove the damaged valve, but rather implants a replacement into the valve’s place. Once the new valve is in place, it pushes the old valve tissue out of the way and takes over.
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute combines the knowledge of specialists from multiple disciplines, including cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiac surgery, vascular surgery and cardiac anesthesia to devise the right treatment plan for patients.
Our specialists have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s leader.
The expertise of our physicians has prompted the American College of Cardiology to accredit all four Norton Healthcare adult hospitals as Chest Pain Centers.
Heart and vascular care for the whole person
We offer classes, events and support groups for patients and families.. To register for any activity, call (502) 629-1234.
- Norton Heart & Vascular Institute Resource Center offers education, support and resources for men and women of all ages seeking to improve cardiovascular health, including free classes with topics ranging from tai chi to living a full life with heart failure.
- Circle of Hearts: A free education series dedicated to education and support for women with heart disease
- WomenHeart: Trained heart disease survivors providing recovery plans for women with heart disease
- Pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation: Medically supervised exercise program and education for patients struggling with respiratory ailments or recovering from a cardiac event
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more cardiovascular patients — about 100,000 every year — than any provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiologists, electrophysiologists, cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s leader.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in the state.
- The American College of Cardiology Accreditation Services certifies Norton Healthcare for chest pain and atrial fibrillation care.
Disney star Cameron Boyce’s family says a seizure led to his death: What is sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP)?
When actor Cameron Boyce, a star of the Disney Channel show “Jessie,” died at age 20, his family said in a statement that his sudden death was due to a seizure during sleep. According to […]Read Full Story
Deanna Polsgrove, practice manager for Norton Infectious Disease Specialists, considers patients to be like family. She cries with them and celebrates with them. So, when a patient gave birth to a healthy baby girl, Deanna […]Read Full Story
For the second year in a row, Norton Healthcare has been identified as one of the companies liked best by female workers in Forbes' second annual ranking of America's Best Employers for Women. This recognition [...]Read Full Story