When You Need Heart Surgery, You Need a Leader
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute’s three board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiothoracic surgeons are at the forefront of bringing advanced open-heart surgery and thoracic surgery techniques to Louisville and Southern Indiana.
Cardiothoracic surgery includes open-heart surgeries such as heart bypass and valve replacement as well as minimally invasive, robotic-assisted procedures on the heart, lungs and other organs in the chest.
Our cardiothoracic surgeons performed more than 500 heart bypass or valve procedures last year and have an average of about 25 years’ experience .
They have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s health care leader.
Expertise, Experience and Skill
The Norton Cardiothoracic Surgery team is dedicated to providing the latest surgery and treatment options focused on improving your quality of life. Our cardiothoracic specialists are at the forefront of the latest medical advancements for treatment of coronary artery disease, aortic valve disease, mitral valve disease, congenital defects of the heart, enlarged hearts and other major problems.
Norton Cardiothoracic Surgery provides the latest in surgical procedures. Some state-of-the-art procedures include:
- Coronary artery bypass graft
- Off-pump heart bypass surgery
- Transmyocardial revascularization
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Valve repair/replacement
- Atrial fibrillation surgery
- Convergent procedure, a minimally invasive treatment for A-fib
- Minimally invasive valve surgery
Interventional cardiologists can treat many blockages with angioplasty — a minimally invasive procedure that threads a catheter with a tool on the end through the artery to clear a blockage. But if the blockage is extreme, or if too many arteries are blocked, a bypass performed by a cardiothoracic surgeon may be necessary.
If the blockage is in the left coronary artery — the one responsible for catastrophic heart attacks — the blockage is so risky that a surgeon will perform a bypass.
So many of your body’s functions are primarily located in the chest, and our cardiothoracic surgeons work closely with physicians across Norton Heart & Vascular Institute, including cardiology, interventional cardiology, electrophysiology and heart failure, to bring you complete, multidisciplinary heart care.
Heart and Vascular Care for the Whole Person
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute offers patient resources to support you and your family, including free classes for men and women of all ages seeking to improve cardiovascular health or living with a heart condition.
Our cardiac rehabilitation providers are leaders in developing and applying innovative techniques that can help you recover and resume your life.
The group provides education and support to men and women after a heart attack, living with a heart condition or at risk for cardiovascular disease.
Prevention is the best way to manage heart disease, and screenings are available to detect early signs of cardiac and vascular disease and identify risk factors.
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute offers classes about once a week on a broad range of heart health topics including cooking classes, atrial fibrillation (A-fib) and heart failure education workshops, and more.
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more people for heart and vascular care — about 250,000 every year — than any other provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Norton Healthcare’s four adult-service hospitals are American College of Cardiology accredited Cycle VI Chest Pain Centers — the highest level of expertise to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in Kentucky.
- Norton Healthcare is the only health care system in Kentucky to receive the prestigious Mission Lifeline: Regional Trailblazer Award from the American Heart Association for being an innovator in creating a system of care for ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) heart attacks — the most severe type of heart attack.