TAVR: A Less Invasive Option for Severe Aortic Stenosis
Specialists at Norton Heart & Vascular Institute, the leading cardiovascular care provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana, perform transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR, also referred to as TAVI). The TAVR procedure is an alternative for patients who cannot undergo standard open aortic valve replacement.
The board-certified and fellowship-trained interventional cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons at Norton Heart & Vascular Institute team up to conduct a TAVR procedure. Performed though a catheter, it requires only a short hospital stay, many just overnight. Many patients report improvement in symptoms including shortness of breath and improvement in leg swelling.
Our experts recommend TAVR for high-risk and inoperable sufferers of aortic stenosis — a narrowing of the aortic valve that prevents it from opening fully. One in two patients with untreated symptoms of severe aortic stenosis will die within an average of two years.
The TAVR procedure does not remove the damaged valve, but rather implants a replacement into the valve’s place. Once the new valve is in place, it pushes the old valve tissue out of the way and takes over.
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute combines the knowledge of specialists from multiple disciplines, including cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiac surgery, vascular surgery and cardiac anesthesia to devise the right treatment plan for patients.
Our specialists have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s leader.
The expertise of our physicians has prompted the American College of Cardiology to accredit all four Norton Healthcare adult hospitals as Chest Pain Centers.
Heart and Vascular Care for the Whole Person
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute offers patient resources to support you and your family, including free classes for men and women of all ages seeking to improve cardiovascular health or living with a heart condition.
Our cardiac rehabilitation providers are leaders in developing and applying innovative techniques that can help you recover and resume your life.
The group provides education and support to men and women after a heart attack, living with a heart condition or at risk for cardiovascular disease.
Prevention is the best way to manage heart disease, and screenings are available to detect early signs of cardiac and vascular disease and identify risk factors.
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute offers classes about once a week on a broad range of heart health topics including cooking classes, atrial fibrillation (A-fib) and heart failure education workshops, and more.
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more people for heart and vascular care — about 250,000 every year — than any other provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Norton Healthcare’s four adult-service hospitals are American College of Cardiology accredited Cycle VI Chest Pain Centers — the highest level of expertise to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in Kentucky.
- Norton Healthcare is the only health care system in Kentucky to receive the prestigious Mission Lifeline: Regional Trailblazer Award from the American Heart Association for being an innovator in creating a system of care for ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) heart attacks — the most severe type of heart attack.