Norton is a leading provider of neurological care in Louisville and Southern Indiana with providers specializing in concussion symptoms and treatment. Norton Neuroscience Institute’s board-certified and fellowship-trained neurologists use a collaborative approach to identify, evaluate and treat concussions.
Though some consider a concussion a “mild” brain injury because it’s typically not life-threatening, sophisticated treatment may be required in cases that are more serious. The severity and duration of symptoms do not always correlate with the injury’s actual severity.
- Loss of consciousness
- Slow response time
- Memory loss
- Nausea or vomiting
- Blurred or double vision
- Light or sound sensitivity
- Mood changes
Early intervention and treatment are key to successfully recovering from a concussion. Our team can determine the severity of your concussion and create a treatment plan that minimizes risk.
Leading-edge Concussion Treatment and Experience
Norton Neuroscience Institute combines years of experience with a commitment to diagnosing and treating a wide variety of neurological conditions, including concussion. Our comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach combines the experience of various specialists to ensure the best course of care for patients with concussions.
The science behind concussions is evolving quickly, and Norton Neuroscience Institute uses leading-edge research in its treatment. One provider leading the way in concussion treatment is Tad D. Seifert, M.D., neurologist with Norton Neurology Services and a nationally known concussion authority. Dr. Seifert is director of Norton Neuroscience Institute’s Sports Neurology Center, a state-of-the-art facility that’s the first of its kind in Kentucky.
If a concussion or traumatic brain injury is suspected, we’ll likely perform a thorough neurologic exam and cognitive testing to arrive at an accurate diagnosis. Our medical team may also perform a computed tomography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of your head.
Treatment plans often consist of simple yet important measures such as resting to avoid further injury, limiting activities that require physical and mental exertion, and getting plenty of sleep.
Sometimes, acute symptoms such as headache, fatigue and mood changes can persist and become chronic. Our team will work with you to help manage ongoing symptoms.
Care That’s Focused on You
- We operate Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center — the area’s only center dedicated to helping you and your family navigate your lives. The Norton Healthcare Foundation funds this important service, so patients don’t need to pay.
- We have dedicated patient navigators who can help with transportation, schedule follow-up appointments and confirm that you can afford prescriptions.
- We provide support groups and exercise classes, develop customized diet plans and can help with issues such as access to disability assistance, housing, and financial and employment advice.
- At Norton Neuroscience Institute, we want to help you get better and well as prevent you from getting sick in the first place. Get help quitting smoking and learn the signs of stroke at Norton Healthcare Prevention & Wellness.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
Louisville’s Leader in Neurological Care
More patients from Louisville and Southern Indiana seek treatment from Norton Neuroscience Institute’s nationally recognized neurologists and neurosurgeons than any other provider in the area.
- We have more than 60 medical, surgical and research specialists dedicated to providing innovative care to those with brain, spine and nervous system conditions.
- We use advanced minimally invasive neurosurgery equipment that speeds your recovery and minimizes pain.
- Our multidisciplinary clinics offer easy access to specialists in oncology, cardiovascular, orthopedics, and behavioral health.
- Norton Healthcare has the largest network of accredited stroke centers in the area.
- Norton Brownsboro Hospital’s designation as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission and American Stroke Association represents the highest level of care.
- The Joint Commission also certified Norton Audubon Hospital and Norton Hospital as Primary Stroke Centers and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital.
- Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center navigators help educate patients and their families about new diagnoses, available treatments and managing their disease.
- We are nationally recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 neurosurgery and spine program.