Epilepsy is a neurological disorder in which abnormal brain activity causes repeated seizures. The condition can significantly impact quality of life, which is why Norton Neuroscience Institute is committed to providing specialized care that improves the lives of people with epilepsy.
The National Association of Epilepsy Centers has recognized Norton Neuroscience Institute as a Level 4 Epilepsy Center. The designation means we provide the highest level of medical and surgical evaluation and treatment for patients with complex epilepsy.
At Norton Neuroscience Institute, our team of epilepsy specialists works to achieve the best possible outcomes. Neurologists, neurosurgeons and other specialists collaborate to tailor a personalized treatment plan that meets the unique needs of every patient. This multidisciplinary approach means your care is discussed among the team to provide individualized care.
We provide the most advanced treatment for patients with epilepsy at state-of-the art facilities, including the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit at Norton Brownsboro Hospital in northeastern Louisville. Norton Neuroscience Institute also offers a First Seizure Clinic to provide rapid and accurate diagnosis after the onset of seizure symptoms.
Norton Neuroscience Institute offers comprehensive care for epilepsy, which means we see patients across the full spectrum of the disorder.
Our comprehensive epilepsy treatment program provides:
- Community outreach through free educational seminars for patients, families and physicians
- Comprehensive presurgical evaluations for patients with refractory epilepsy, meaning medications are failing to control the epilepsy
- Epilepsy monitoring unit admission wait time typically less than two weeks; neurosurgery appointments in less than two days
- Individualized therapy directed by a multidisciplinary team of physicians
- Treatment options ranging from medication and diet management to surgical therapies
- Support services, including psychiatry and physical, occupational and cognitive therapies.
Louisville’s Leader in Neurological Care
More patients from Louisville and Southern Indiana seek treatment from Norton Neuroscience Institute’s nationally recognized neurologists and neurosurgeons than any other provider in the area.
- We have more than 60 medical, surgical and research specialists dedicated to providing innovative care to those with brain, spine and nervous system conditions.
- We use advanced minimally invasive neurosurgery equipment that speeds your recovery and minimizes pain.
- Our multidisciplinary clinics offer easy access to specialists in oncology, cardiovascular, orthopedics and behavioral health.
- Norton Healthcare has the largest network of accredited stroke centers in the area.
- Norton Brownsboro Hospital’s designation as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission and American Stroke Association represents the highest level of care.
- Norton Healthcare’s three other adult hospitals have been designated as Primary Stroke Centers.
- Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center navigators help educate patients and their families about new diagnoses, available treatments and managing their disease.
- We are nationally recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 neurosurgery and spine program.