Neuromuscular Care in Louisville and Southern Indiana
Neuromuscular diseases are a group of diseases that impair the functioning of the muscles. These diseases damage nerves and interrupt the connection between nerves and muscles. As a result, muscles weaken and waste away, or atrophy. Neuromuscular diseases can be inherited or caused by a genetic mutation; some of these diseases may be caused by autoimmune disorders.
Norton Neuroscience Institute diagnoses and treats a variety of neuromuscular diseases, including:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
- Muscular dystrophy
- Myasthenia gravis
- Myositis, including polymyositis and dermatomyositis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Spinal muscular atrophy
Treatment for Neuromuscular Diseases
Treatment for neuromuscular diseases includes a combination of medication and therapies. Our providers work with patients and their families to determine a treatment plan tailored to each patient’s needs. Our multidisciplinary care includes collaboration between a neurologist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, respiratory therapist, speech therapist and dietician, with the goal of helping patients treat and manage their disease.
Our ALS Multidisciplinary Clinic provides comprehensive treatment in one place. Patients can see multiple specialists at one location during the same appointment. Learn more about the ALS Multidisciplinary Clinic here.
Care That’s Focused on You
- We operate Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center — the area’s only center dedicated to helping you and your family navigate your lives. The Norton Healthcare Foundation funds this important service, so patients don’t need to pay.
- We have dedicated patient navigators who can help with transportation, schedule follow-up appointments and confirm that you can afford prescriptions.
- We provide support groups and exercise classes, develop customized diet plans and can help with issues such as access to disability assistance, housing, and financial and employment advice.
- At Norton Neuroscience Institute, we want to help you get better and well as prevent you from getting sick in the first place. Get help quitting smoking and learn the signs of stroke at Norton Healthcare Prevention & Wellness.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
Louisville’s Leader in Neurological Care
More patients from Louisville and Southern Indiana seek treatment from Norton Neuroscience Institute’s nationally recognized neurologists and neurosurgeons than any other provider in the area.
- We have more than 60 medical, surgical and research specialists dedicated to providing innovative care to those with brain, spine and nervous system conditions.
- We use advanced minimally invasive neurosurgery equipment that speeds your recovery and minimizes pain.
- Our multidisciplinary clinics offer easy access to specialists in oncology, cardiovascular, orthopedics, and behavioral health.
- Norton Healthcare has the largest network of accredited stroke centers in the area.
- Norton Brownsboro Hospital’s designation as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission and American Stroke Association represents the highest level of care.
- The Joint Commission also certified Norton Audubon Hospital and Norton Hospital as Primary Stroke Centers and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital.
- Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center navigators help educate patients and their families about new diagnoses, available treatments and managing their disease.
- We are nationally recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 neurosurgery and spine program.