Louisville’s thoracic surgery leader
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute’s board-certified and fellowship-trained thoracic surgeons are the leaders in Louisville and Southern Indiana in providing minimally invasive lobectomy and other surgeries in the chest and abdomen.
Our surgeons treat a broad range of conditions affecting the chest and torso, esophagus and lungs, including lung cancer. Our specialists are sought after for their skill with minimally invasive and robotic-assisted thoracic surgery. They are leaders in new minimally invasive diagnostic and treatment technologies, including the use of cesium-131 brachytherapy cancer treatments.
Patients with some of the most advanced conditions seek out George J. Mikos, M.D., and the thoracic surgery team for their skill, experience and easy access. We offer new patients same-day appointments.
Dr. Mikos, with more than 20 years’ experience as a thoracic surgeon, performs operations at Norton Audubon Hospital, Norton Brownsboro Hospital, Norton Hospital and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital. Our team performs more specialized thoracic surgeries each year than any other provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
Experience and expertise across various specialties
So many of the body’s functions are primarily located in the chest, and our thoracic surgeons work closely with physicians across Norton Healthcare to bring you complete, multidisciplinary care.
Our team has the experience and expertise to provide a precise diagnosis and determine whether your condition requires surgery or can be treated by other means.
Conditions we treat include:
- Lung nodules
- Lung cancer tumors
- Chest reconstruction
- Pleural effusion
- Pneumothorax (collapsed lung)
- Esophageal reconstruction
- Thymus disorders
- Hiatal hernia and reflux issues
- Thymic tumors
Comprehensive lung care
Norton Cardiothoracic Surgery works closely with Norton Cancer Institute to provide comprehensive multidisciplinary lung care to patients across the Kentucky and Southern Indiana region. Our thoracic surgery team plays a key role for patients who seek care at the Norton Cancer Institute Comprehensive Lung Center to provide surgical interventions as needed for lung nodules, lung tumors and lobectomies.
This multidisciplinary team approach has been designated as a Center of Excellence by the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, reserved for programs designed to accelerate lung cancer detection and patient treatment by using the most advanced technology available.
Some of the most advanced lung care available includes our ability to offer minimally invasive lung-cancer surgeries (lobectomies) and also partial lobectomies that save part of your lung. Dr. Mikos performs this technique, which results in patients having less pain and the ability to recover in about half the time as conventional surgery.
Care that’s focused on you
Norton Cardiothoracic Surgery offers the latest in technology, treatments and easy access to care so that you can get back to life as quickly as possible.
- Minimally invasive procedures can have you home quickly with less pain and faster recovery.
- We exceed national benchmarks for days spent in hospital following a procedure.
- Most procedures require one day or less in the hospital, and most patients spend no time in intensive care.
- Robotic-trained surgeons
- Our lung cancer screening program includes smoking cessation resources.
- We offer same-day appointments for new patients.
- Care is available at any of the four Norton Healthcare adult hospitals.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more cardiovascular patients — about 100,000 every year — than any provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiologists, electrophysiologists, cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s leader.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in the state.
- The American College of Cardiology Accreditation Services certifies Norton Healthcare for chest pain and atrial fibrillation care.
Becker’s Healthcare has recognized Adam D. Kempf, Norton Healthcare senior vice president and chief financial officer, as one of the 106 hospital and health system CFOs to know in the nation. Those on the list play an integral […]Read Full Story
We are seeing record high temperatures in Greater Louisville already this spring. These early hot days mean you can get caught off guard by heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat [...]Read Full Story
Under the VA Mission Act of 2018, eligible U.S. veterans now are able to get treatment for minor injuries and illnesses such as colds, sore throats and minor skin infections at urgent care clinics through […]Read Full Story
Karen Allen, R.N., oncology patient navigator for Norton Cancer Institute, sees the patient navigator role as a “bridge across the canyon of uncertainty” for patients who are newly diagnosed with cancer. “I imagine my family […]Read Full Story
You have a thing for bags. The bigger the better, right? Sure, a big, fabulous bag might be able to hold everything you want to carry with you, but all that extra baggage is doing […]Read Full Story