Providing the Highest Level of Stroke Care
Norton Healthcare operates the area’s largest stroke system. At its core is Norton Brownsboro Hospital, which is certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. As one of four Comprehensive Stroke Centers in Kentucky, Norton Brownsboro Hospital utilizes advanced technology and a specialized team to care for the most severe of stroke cases, leading to better outcomes.
The Joint Commission also certified Norton Audubon Hospital and Norton Hospital as Primary Stroke Centers and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital.
Once there are signs of a stroke, “time saved is brain saved.” Located at the intersection of interstates 71 and 265, Norton Brownsboro Hospital is close to Southern Indiana via the Lewis and Clark Bridge and wherever you are in the Louisville area.
Raising the Standard for Stroke Care
When suffering from a stroke, time is critical and every minute counts. Norton Healthcare hospitals are far faster than the national average in getting patients in the door and administering lifesaving treatment such as tPA (tissue plasminogen activator). This medication breaks up blood clots and helps unblock arteries to the brain.
Stroke patients at Norton Healthcare hospitals are diagnosed and treated with tPA within 60 minutes of arrival 89 percent of the time — much better than the national average of 66 percent.
But clot-busting tPA isn’t right for all patients.
In those cases, surgeons in the Norton Neuroscience Institute comprehensive stroke center system are equipped to move quickly to remove blood clots in the brain. Our board-certified and fellowship-trained endovascular surgeons use a minimally invasive technique to reach a blocked artery in the brain.
Our surgeons specialize in threading a catheter through the femoral artery in the leg all the way up to the clot in the brain. They then conduct a thrombectomy to break up and remove the blood clot, re-establishing blood flow.
Norton Neuroscience Institute endovascular neurosurgeons use the Solitaire Revascularization Device, approved by the FDA to remove clots in the brain.
Patients who were successfully treated with tPA still may be candidates for endovascular surgery to remove clots.
Care That’s Focused on You
- We operate Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center — the area’s only center dedicated to helping you and your family navigate your lives after a stroke. The Norton Healthcare Foundation funds this important service, so patients don’t need to pay.
- We have dedicated patient navigators who can help with transportation, schedule follow-up appointments and confirm that you can afford prescriptions.
- We provide support groups and exercise classes, develop customized diet plans and can help with issues such as access to disability assistance, housing, and financial and employment advice.
- At Norton Neuroscience Institute, we want to help you get better and well as prevent you from getting sick in the first place. Get help quitting smoking and learn the signs of stroke at Norton Healthcare Prevention & Wellness.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Neuroscience Institute
More patients from Louisville and Southern Indiana seek treatment from Norton Neuroscience Institute’s nationally recognized neurologists and neurosurgeons than any other provider in the area.
- We have more than 60 medical, surgical and research specialists dedicated to providing innovative care to those with brain, spine and nervous system conditions.
- We use advanced minimally invasive neurosurgery equipment that speeds your recovery and minimizes pain.
- Our multidisciplinary clinics offer easy access to specialists in oncology, cardiovascular, orthopedics, and behavioral health.
- Norton Healthcare has the largest network of accredited stroke centers in the area.
- Norton Brownsboro Hospital’s designation as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission and American Stroke Association represents the highest level of care.
- The Joint Commission also certified Norton Audubon Hospital and Norton Hospital as Primary Stroke Centers and Norton Women’s & Children’s Hospital as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital.
- Norton Neuroscience Institute Resource Center navigators help educate patients and their families about new diagnoses, available treatments and managing their disease.
- We are nationally recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review as a Top 100 neurosurgery and spine program.