As the region’s leader in providing care for neurological conditions, Norton Neuroscience Institute is dedicated to offering the most advanced treatments and support for people with Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s usually affects people between the ages of 55 and 75, but it can develop at an earlier age. Nearly 1 million Americans are living with the disease.
While a cure has yet to be found for Parkinson’s, Norton Neuroscience Institute offers the most advanced treatments available to help control your symptoms.
Parkinson’s disease is difficult to diagnose in its early stages due to mild symptoms and a gradual onset. Typically, the disease initially is diagnosed through symptoms, which may include:
- Difficulty with memory and thought processes
- Impaired balance and coordination, slowness of movement, especially when initiating motion
- Speech problems
- Stiff muscles, tremors (shaking) of the hands, arms, legs and face
- Trouble eating and swallowing
These symptoms are caused by destruction of certain cells in your brain. Messages from the brain telling your body how and when to move are delivered more slowly, leaving you incapable of initiating and controlling movements in a normal way.
Cutting-edge Parkinson’s Disease Treatment at Norton Neuroscience Institute
Treatment for Parkinson’s is directed at relieving symptoms, usually through medication or surgery. Other treatment approaches include general lifestyle modifications, physical therapy, support groups, occupational therapy and speech therapy.
Strides have been made in the past decade that have improved both medications and surgical techniques. At Norton Neuroscience Institute, our physicians offer state-of-the art treatment for Parkinson’s disease.
Deep brain stimulation (DBS). During a DBS procedure, our neurosurgeons place a small device inside the chest. The device sends electrical pulses to the brain that alter nerve signals that cause symptoms such as tremors, rigidity and stiffness. With DBS, patients can typically see the motor symptoms improve 50 to 80 percent or even more.
Norton Neuroscience Institute neurosurgeons have advanced training and technology in DBS and are one of the few centers to offer “asleep” DBS in addition to performing the surgery while patients are awake. Having the procedure under general anesthesia is faster and safer.
A consultation with a Norton Neuroscience Institute neurosurgeon and a series of tests are needed to determine if a patient is a candidature for DBS.
In addition to administering expert medical care for patients with Parkinson’s disease, we provide extensive support that includes:
- DBS nurse navigator. As part of our commitment to personalized care, a nurse navigator can help guide patients through their care journey and help to connect them with resources and answer questions.
- Cressman Neurological Center. Cressman Neurological Rehabilitation, located at Norton Medical Plaza 1 – Brownsboro, provides rehabilitation services for patients managing neurological conditions. At Cressman Neurological Rehabilitation, patients have access to some of the most advanced technology and specialized services in one location to help with gait, balance, strength, flexibility, speech, fine motor skills, swallowing, driving, cognition, vision and more.
- Exercise groups. Yoga for Parkinson’s and our semi-annual Parkinson’s golf clinic are specifically tailored to improve balance, maintain flexibility and reduce stress.
- Patient support classes. We offer a variety of classes, including “Parkinson’s Disease: The Basics,” and a recurring “Parkinson’s Wellness Retreat.”
Care That’s Focused On You
- We have dedicated patient navigators who can help with transportation, schedule follow-up appointments and confirm that you can afford prescriptions.
- We provide support groups and exercise classes, develop customized diet plans and help with issues such as access to disability assistance, housing, and financial and employment advice.
- At Norton Neuroscience Institute, we want to help you get better as well as prevent you from getting sick in the first place. Get screened for numerous conditions and learn the signs of illness at Norton Healthcare Prevention & Wellness.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Neuroscience Institute
More patients from Louisville and Southern Indiana seek treatment from Norton Neuroscience Institute’s nationally recognized neurologists and neurosurgeons than any other provider in the area.
- We have more than 60 trained and experienced providers treating brain, spine and nervous system conditions.
- We use advanced, minimally invasive neurosurgery equipment that can speed your recovery and help minimize pain.
- We’ve created multidisciplinary clinics to give you the benefit of Norton Healthcare’s comprehensive range of experienced providers in oncology, cardiovascular, orthopedics and behavioral health.
- Norton Neuroscience Institute patients have access to resource centers that include navigators to help with appointment booking, follow-up care, prescreening for clinical trials and tending to physical and emotional needs.