Geriatric Oncology Program
Having cancer presents a variety of challenges, no matter your age. Norton Cancer Institute’s Geriatric Oncology Program is the first of its kind in the area to bring together expertise in several areas of caring for older adults. Together, we offer customized, high-quality cancer treatment plans for patients over age 70.
The Geriatric Oncology Program could benefit you if:
- You are an active person and want to return to living an active lifestyle.
- You have medical conditions in addition to cancer and want to learn how cancer treatment can affect your overall health.
- You want to learn how your care plan can improve with additional resources designed for your needs.
If you are over age 70 and have any type of cancer, our geriatric oncology specialists will work closely with your current care team to maximize your quality of care.
Upon your initial visit, the Geriatric Oncology Program’s geriatrician and pharmacist will perform a comprehensive exam to help establish your individualized care plan through the following:
- A nurse navigator to help guide you through the program’s resources
- A nutritionist to develop an eating plan of action and help assess current medications, treatment and diseases
- A social worker to discuss ways to improve your quality of life through available support services
- A physical therapist to help with physical ability
- A pharmacist to assess current medications and their impact on cancer care
- A geriatrician and behavioral oncology team to work directly with your oncologist or cancer care provider in coordinating your care plan
Norton Healthcare is now taking applications for the next Student Nurse Apprenticeship Program (SNAP) cohort. Students set to graduate in December 2020 to June 2021 should apply by Oct. 1. The program is the first […]Read Full Story
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Sept. 18, 2019) – Norton Healthcare and UPS will launch a new program that will allow students to graduate with little to no debt and move toward careers in health care. Norton Healthcare-UPS […]Read Full Story
It’s never too early to take care of your heart, especially if you have a family history of heart disease. And it’s never too early to get kids started with heart-healthy habits that will lower […]Read Full Story