Louisville’s Leader in Prostate Cancer Care
Our oncology team has the experience to deliver effective treatment.
Norton Cancer Institute is the leading provider of prostate cancer care in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Our prostate cancer specialists are board-certified and fellowship-trained leaders in their field. They’re at the forefront of developing innovative approaches to getting patients back to living their lives.
If you’ve been diagnosed with prostate cancer, you want to start getting better right away. That’s why we offer same-day appointments for newly diagnosed patients.
At Norton Cancer Institute, you’ll have a one-on-one relationship with your oncologist, surgeon, radiation oncologist or other specialist. The next cancer doctor you see will be either someone you know or someone you’ll be seeing again who knows your case.
Innovative Prostate Cancer Care Tailored for You
We use the latest equipment and procedures to make a precise diagnosis of your cancer.
We can evaluate masses painlessly with ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Biopsies — extracting tissue and examining it — are another way to precisely diagnose your prostate cancer.
Our advanced testing options will help your specialist determine a care plan that’s tailored for you, based on the stage of your tumor and your treatment goals. Your comprehensive care team of physicians and other health care providers meets regularly to review your case and plan the next steps.
Our state-of-the-art treatments include immunotherapy and biologic therapies that can provide a unique treatment designed specifically to combat the genetic makeup of your cancer.
That’s a testament to the benefits of early diagnosis and the skill our specialists bring to your care.
Norton Cancer Institute offers advanced treatment options for prostate cancer. The most common are:
- External beam radiation therapy
- Surgical removal of the prostate or radical prostatectomy, including da Vinci robotic-assisted surgery
- Injection therapy
- Xofigo – This Food and Drug Administration-approved therapy is ideal for prostate cancer that has spread to the bones and is resistant to therapies that lower testosterone. Xofigo is administered by injection once a month. It has shown to be safe and reduces the chance of broken bones and death in patients with this type of prostate cancer.
- SpaceOAR – When treating prostate cancer patients with radiation therapy, the goal is to kill the cancer cells while avoiding damage to healthy tissue. The prostate is next to the rectum and naturally separated by a small space. Due to the proximity, prostate radiation therapy can unintentionally cause damage to the rectum, which can lead to issues with bowel function. SpaceOAR Hydrogel is a gel spacer that temporarily moves the rectal wall farther from the prostate. By separating the prostate from the rectum, less radiation reaches the rectum, which may result in less damage.
In addition to our current leading-edge treatments, we offer our patients the opportunity to participate in innovative National Cancer Institute- and industry-sponsored clinical research studies. These trials help to improve current cancer treatments, in addition to finding new and promising solutions.
Prostate Cancer Care for the Whole Person
- From Corydon, Indiana, to Shelbyville, Kentucky, Norton Cancer Institute has seven outpatient locations and multiple infusion centers in Louisville and Southern Indiana. We have three radiation centers located just off major interstates with free self-service parking and valet parking.
- We offer customized prostate cancer treatment plans, including active surveillance, chemotherapy and precision radiation beam therapy that may offer fewer side effects.
- We have a dedicated prostate cancer patient navigator to guide you through the treatment process. The navigator is a registered nurse and advocate for patients and families who can help coordinate scheduling to minimize visits. The navigator provides information and support through diagnosis, treatment and beyond.
- Five Norton Cancer Institute Resource Centers in Louisville and Southern Indiana offer a variety of support services that address the emotional, physical and spiritual needs of patients and their families. Specially trained oncology nurses are on hand to provide one-on-one counseling.
- We hold a monthly support group dedicated to prostate cancer patients and survivors.
- Norton Cancer Institute Behavioral Oncology Program is designed to provide supportive emotional and psychological care for patients diagnosed with prostate cancer and their families.