Louisville’s Leader in Breast Cancer Care
Norton Cancer Institute is the leading provider of breast cancer care in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Our breast cancer specialists are board-certified and fellowship-trained leaders in their field. They’re at the forefront of developing innovative approaches to getting patients back to living their lives.
If you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer, you want to start getting better right away. That’s why we offer same-day appointments for newly diagnosed patients.
At Norton Cancer Institute, you’ll have a one-on-one relationship with your oncologist, surgeon, radiation oncologist and any other specialist.
Innovative Breast Cancer Care Tailored for You
We use the latest equipment and procedures to make a precise diagnosis of your cancer. We can evaluate masses painlessly with ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging. We also perform ductograms to help determine the cause of nipple discharge.
Biopsies — extracting tissue and examining it — are another way to precisely diagnose breast cancer. The types of biopsies we perform include image-core, fine-needle aspiration, wire-localized excisional and excisional, also known as a lumpectomy.
Our advanced testing options will help your specialist determine a care plan that’s tailored for you based on the stage of your tumor and your treatment goals. Your comprehensive care team of physicians and other health care providers meets regularly to review your care and plan the next steps.
Our state-of-the-art treatments include immunotherapy and biologic therapies designed specifically to combat the genetic makeup of your cancer.
Our dedicated breast cancer team is skilled in the most advanced techniques available. Options include breast cancer surgery, radiation, chemotherapy and hormonal therapy. Our team is experienced in the use of genomics to tailor a treatment plan for you based on what is driving a specific tumor’s growth.
In addition to our current leading-edge treatments, we offer the opportunity to participate in innovative National Cancer Institute- and industry-sponsored clinical research studies. These trials help to improve current cancer treatments, in addition to finding new and promising solutions.
Breast reconstruction is available either at the time of a mastectomy or after. Our surgeons are experienced with all types of reconstruction, from oncoplastic surgery and implants to more sophisticated techniques that use tissue from elsewhere on the body to reconstruct the breast.
Breast Cancer Care for the Whole Person
- Norton Cancer Institute has eight outpatient locations and multiple infusion centers in Louisville, surrounding counties and Southern Indiana. We have three radiation centers in Louisville.
- Our multidisciplinary Breast Clinic allows you to see your oncologist, your surgeon, your radiation oncologist, your counselor, your nutritionist and other members of your care team all in one visit.
- We provide customized breast cancer treatments using the most advanced technology for every type of breast cancer.
We have dedicated breast cancer patient navigators to guide you through the treatment process. The navigator is a registered nurse and advocate for patients and families who can help coordinate scheduling to minimize your visits. The navigator provides information and support throughout your diagnosis, treatment and beyond.
- We offer chemotherapy patients a way to keep their hair during treatment. We’ve been providing DigniCap treatments longer than anyone in Louisville. DigniCap cools the scalp to help minimize chemotherapy-related hair loss.
- Support groups facilitated by our patient navigators give women diagnosed with breast cancer an opportunity to share their experiences and encourage one another.
- Five Norton Cancer Institute Resource Centers in Louisville and Southern Indiana offer a variety of support services that address the emotional, physical and spiritual needs of patients and their families. Specially trained oncology-certified nurses also are on hand to provide one-on-one counseling.
- The Norton Cancer Institute Behavioral Oncology Clinic is designed to provide supportive emotional and psychological care for patients diagnosed with breast cancer and their families.